cloudy water after setting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bartek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just set up a 30 gal tank with a sandy bottom, the water is cloudy. it's been over 24hours and it only cleared up a little. Is this normal? How long does it take for the water to clear? Should I run the filter? I have a magnum 350. TIA.

the water could be clowdy because its stagnent, run the filter, it might even be a bacterial bloom, dont worry just give it some time.

IF you added sand, especially a very fine sand, it will take few days for the water to clear. I would not worry about too much. Give a good few days to clear than continue with set up.

Before I put sand in my fw setup, I rinsed it for over an hour. I put the sand in the tank, and was very careful not to hit the sand with water the whole time I filled it up. As a result I had very little clouding. After I had my tank completly set up, I put carbon and a sponge filter in, which "polished" the water. Now it's crystal clear. Here's the post with the tank:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=6986&highlight=

getting better`

thanks guys, the water cleared after about 5 days. it's still not as it suppose to be, but i'll do a little water change and it should be fine. I'll post some pics when everything is finished.

I have a magnum 350.

Run your filter with the micron cartridge, it should get it sparkling clear. The micron carts get rid of lots of small particles.

Hi,
i just set up a tank that is approx 50gallon or 230 litres.
i m running an EHEIM filter that filters approximately 136gallon/hour or 612l/hour.
the filter has been running for about a week now, and the tank contains only goldfish(just to get the biological filtration going), and i plan to place Malawi cichlids. Although the tank has cleared through the week, there is still that white misty colour. i am wondering if my filter is sufficient for the job that lies ahead or does my tank just need a few dozen water changes?????

You'll want a filter which turns over between 6-10x the tank amount per hour. So yes, Ehiem filter you have is just not sufficient enough to filter your tank. You'll wants something which turns over a minimum of 300 gallons (6 x 50g) an hour.

You may still need to do those water changes. The filter only pulls debris from the water column and does not remove ammonia/nitrites/nitrates or clean gunk up from the substrate.

Re: Alivymar

thanx alivymar
the lfs that i bought my stuff from recommended this type of filter even after i had told him my dimensions and the type of fish i was planning to keep. is it best to return the filter, and swap it for something that filters more water per hour. Can u recommend a suitable filter that will do the jjob and do it well? or would u suggest a DIY filter that u are farmiliar with?
thanx

Back
Top Bottom