Cloudy water and high Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my new tank today as i plan to start the fishless cycle tomorrow and as i filled my tank up with water i noticed it to become very cloudy (not sure if its from gravel as i did rinse it) Will this cloudiness go away once my cycle has finished? Also i tested my ph and its reading 8.4 and i need it down to 7.0 what can i do to reduce it? If it helps, glowlight and/or neon tetras and panda cory cats will be living in my tank.

It probably just became cloudy from the gravel. I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of gravel is it? That could raise the pH.
The pH might be lower tomorrow, it usually changes after it's been out for 24 hours.

Don't worry about lowering it even if it won't go lower, fish will acclimate.

More than likely bacteria settling in. This is completely normal when starting a new tank. It will settle in a few days.

Look up bacterial bloom on Google for a more in depth explanation.

Whoops! You can lower your ph by adding Pete moss to your filter bog woods will also help lower ph but not as effective.

Are you aware of the necessity to cycle your new tank? If not ask questions or research on the net. It is very important.

Thanks for your answers. I guess ill leave it for another 24 hours and see how it goes. Yeah I know how to cycle, I have done lots of research.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't mess with the pH. Tanks are normally cloudy for a while when they are first set up. I would give it at least 8 hours for it to settle.
This is my tank right after I set it up.

This is the next day.

I promise it will clear!

Back
Top Bottom