Cloudy Water/Detritus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilAquaMomma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had an over population of detritus worms recently.
So I removed my fish and gravel from the tank. The water is murky and I’ve done a few changes. I’m planning on leaving it bare bottom. Does anyone have a clue what to do???

Well if it's bare bottom just dump the whole tank and add new water and hook your filter back up and add your fish back in and you should be good to go. Just check your levels as removing your gravel took out a good portion of your biofilter. The cloudy water is most likely a spike in ammo or nitrite. My tanks usually show a nitrite spike when mine clouds not always but usually.

Tank Worms

I had an over population of detritus worms recently.
So I removed my fish and gravel from the tank. The water is murky and I’ve done a few changes. I’m planning on leaving it bare bottom. Does anyone have a clue what to do???

Hello Mom...

If you keep a clean tank with lots of large, weekly water changes, you have little to worry about. The Planaria (flat worms) you have aren't likely to harm your fish. The fish will generally have them for lunch. If however, your tank is dirty, then you can have a more harmful species of flat worms. Parasites and pathogens live in most tanks, but the chances of your fish getting an infection in a clean environment is very remote.

So, keep the tank clear of dissolved fish waste material by removing and replacing most of the tank water every week and your fish will be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom