Cloudy Water Has Returned - At My Wits' End...Is Purigen the Answer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a question for you how long is the tube on the pythons you use? I got 24" high tanks and my tube is only 12". The way i use it is I put the hose in the bucket put the tube in the tank, push the outside tubing near the rim of the tank against the tank wall and then just do a fast/short up and down motion. Iwould have to say no more than a 5"between movements.

That works if you have a ball valve in the top of the siphon head, or if you can time it right with your finger or thumb over the hose.

My python is 50'. Since it's so long, all you have to do it fill the large end and lift it out of the water to get the water flowing down the tube, then stick it back in and gravity takes over and your siphon starts automatically. It's one of the best inventions! Plus you can use the shut-off valve to stop the flow and let the gravel drop out. Must have item!!

I really am still having a hard time understanding the issues here. I spent 20 years doing 5g buckets and hand siphons and never had a constant problem with water all over the floor, just maybe now and then when I wasn't paying attention to the position of the bucket while holding the siphon hose running into it.

Well, I obviously wasn't the first person to go through this, as evidenced by the last comment I replied to...;)

As far as the pump ideal, while it would work just fine for only changing water, you still need to gravel vac every time you do a PWC. Your tank is well enough established that you need to gravel vac at least 50% each time. You cannot perform this with a pump attachment, it will be way, way more cumbersome to even try.

Okay...

I was just thinking that the pump sounds like a way easier method to get the water in and out of the tank, because the self-employed "mechanical" way with these plastic devices just isn't working.

However, filling the tank by putting the pump in the new tap water bucket and running a hose up to the tank - yes, definitely do that if your current method is lifting the 5g bucket up and pouring into the tank.

Indeed -- that is my current method; we actually run back and forth from the bath, filling a vase with water when we want to replace the evaporation or do a change. Sometimes we use a larger bucket, but all in all, we're always lifting some kind of water holding thingy and dropping the water into the tank, thus causing splashing all over the place...

Again, I've spent year doing it by pouring from buckets, but I always split one 5g into 2 buckets 'cause it was easier to pour. The thing I use the pump technique for is saltwater tanks, because I mix it up in a 44g Rubbermaid BRUTE trash can for 24 hours. So it works, and works great. Hold on to the fill hose though!!!

And remember, if you DO attempt to drain your tank with a pump & hose - when you shut the pump off, the siphon will continue to run.

Overall, I would not recommend it to drain the tank, only to fill.

Did you get a new siphon yet?

Nope, no new syphon yet -- but I am glad you gave me some warnings about the pump.

Im doing it old school syphon and buckets, dumping in the shower and refilling from there too. Fro the record i have a 36 and a 46 GAL. Now since you I dont know if you live in the states check this out EHEIM Quick Vac Pro - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart

this is from another forum i was reading a while back. browsinghttp://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-endless-gravel-vac-no-more-hurry-135482.html

Thanks a lot, Reef!

Something like this would be exactly what I'd be looking for -- but does this just clean the gravel? It doesn't suck water up for changes?

Indeed -- that is my current method; we actually run back and forth from the bath, filling a vase with water when we want to replace the evaporation or do a change. Sometimes we use a larger bucket, but all in all, we're always lifting some kind of water holding thingy and dropping the water into the tank, thus causing splashing all over the place...

Well no, that's never going to work really. What I do is put a dining room chair in front of the tank, and use that to stand the buckets on when I'm syphoning out. Then when putting the water back I fill at the sink and carry over to the chair again, then use a measuring jug to put the water back which is a very quick process, then pour the remaining dregs directly into the tank.

It doesn't take very long to do, although my sink is only about 5 paces away from the tank which makes things much easier!

I guess if you're lifting a full 5 gallon bucket directly into the tank, you're bound to spill it, I would!

Thanks a lot, Reef!

Something like this would be exactly what I'd be looking for -- but does this just clean the gravel? It doesn't suck water up for changes?

Personally I would look for something with a wider end, but it will do the job, you just need to push it in and out of the gravel to dislodge the dirt, which will then get sucked away. You will end up with a tank which looks dirtier initially but the filter will take care of that pretty quickly (it's also why you need to clean the filters out now and again too)

But will this device actually suck the water out as well, so I don't need to use the syphon?

I realize you have to clean filters now and again.

We use one at work sometimes. It only removes sludge from the water and the bottom, doesn't pull water out.

No hose attachment that I've noticed.

But will this device actually suck the water out as well, so I don't need to use the syphon?

I realize you have to clean filters now and again.

We use one at work sometimes. It only removes sludge from the water and the bottom, doesn't pull water out.

No hose attachment that I've noticed.

But Mark claimed all gravel vacs are syphons too....unless I misunderstood? :confused:

If there's no hose attachment, where does the sludge and debris go? Into the device itself somewhere?

Ok. I had no idea that the only device you had to clean your tank was a flower vase. No wonder your tank is so gunky!!

But still, you need to keep in simple!!!!!!!

You don't need any fancy junk to clean your tank!!!!!

You need a 5 gallon orange bucket from Home Depot $2.59. Fill this 2/3 of the way and you won't have a problem carrying it back and forth, up and down stairs. Better yet, get 2 or 3. You can also get them at Ace Hardware and Lowes, but I don't recommend the Lowes ones. You ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS right now.

You need a standard gravel siphon with a 6' hose $5-10. Any siphon will do as long as you get the one w/o the ball valve. Get this NOW.

That is all you need. Do not go overboard with devices any more complicated than you need at this point. Just get the job done!

Please don't take this the wrong way but it seems to be a very simple thing here. You will have cloudy water unless you vacuum the poop out of the gravel. There is no magical way around it.

the gravel vacume has a side exit to connect a pice of tubing not sure what size exactly but you can use it to syphon water out. Now i dont exactly know how good or durable it is.

The Eheim we sell is just basically a sludge remover. There may be a different version out there but basically it acts as a filter and the "sludge" goes into a chamber inside the eheim vacuum. I think people use it more for spot cleaning and in between. They are neat and I mainly use them in the quarantine tanks at work.

But Mark claimed all gravel vacs are syphons too....unless I misunderstood? :confused:

If there's no hose attachment, where does the sludge and debris go? Into the device itself somewhere?

The water has seemed to clear just a smidgen -- perhaps more -- since the final dosage of Stability on Saturday, so right now I am going to wait and see what happens with the clarity...

And it's not that all we had was a flower vase to "clean" the tank; we used that just to get water in and out. :crazyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom