Cloudy water!help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank that I have about 7 cichlids in and a common pleco. The water is perfect as far as ammonia nitrates and nitrites ph and everything. My fish are fine but the cloudiness is just bothering me. I dis water changes, water clarifier. I didn't change my filter for a bit and when I took it out it was brownish so I replaced it and cleaned the filter part. It's been several days and still don't see any change. Is there something I can do? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

That sounds like way too many fish. The common pleco needs to go, not even close to a large enough tank for them.
What type of cichlids?
How large are they?
What test kit are you using?
What is the nitrate concentration? (Give us a number, not 'okay'.)
How long has the tank been setup?
What type of filter?
What is the water change schedule (how much and how often)?

When anything is off, do a water change.

I think it's big enough. I have all small African cichlids about 2 inches ea and my place is like 3. I have a 75 gallon I'm
Moving them too just waiting for the water to cycle. I have a aqueon 30 gallon filter. I do a water change about once a week. I don't know the name of the test kit because I'm not home at the moment. The nitriate I believe is 20 if that's the one I'm thinking of which is like perfect.

That sounds right for nitrate. The problem is that is the max it should be BEFORE a water change. Test your tap water's nitrate too.

If you move the fish and the filter at the same time they can go in the 75 now without any issues, and it would be a better option for them. The 75 is fine for the cichlids, if managed well, but the pleco will still have to go. Common plecos can be over two feet, even a 75 is too small for one.

So should I just do a water change? And how long does it take for the water to cycle in the other tank before its safe for my fish. Its been like 5 days now and I have starter fish in there and they are doing good. I added some gravel and rock and water from my 30 gallon and I've been adding bacteria everyday. I know I can't get a accurate reading from my tests probably the first month.

And I didn't notice you said move the filter and fish now. I I do that should I have the 30 gallon filter and the new 90 gallon one I have that's running now? That won't kill my fish? I just don't want them to die. But if it's better to move it all over there then I will.

What fish are in the 75? If you move the fish from the 30 and the filter for the 30 at the same time you don't need to wait at all. Most likely you stocked the 30 too fast and it is unstable. Moving them all to the 75 immediately would be the best thing for them.

Yes, move them. You are under-filtering your tanks. For any tank you should have filters rated for at least twice the actual volume of the tank (the 30 should have at least 60 gallons of filtration, the 75 should have at least 150 gallons of filtration). With cichlids you should do even more. I would do a Fluval FX5 on a 75, especially with cichlids.

Ok but even though all the levels arnt right that won't kill them? And there are like 2 mollies in there. I'm just wanting to be sure I am kind of newer to this.

Get the mollies out.

If the water is cloudy it isn't where it should be. Even if the numbers are coming out fine for now, that many fish stocked quickly in a 30 will not be stable for long. The test results may not be completely accurate, depending on brand, type, and testing methods.

Ok so is the 30 gallon filter going to bring the good bacteria an everything to make the water safe for them? And since I'll have the 90 gallon and 30 gallon filter in the 75 will that be fine for now until I get another bigger filter?

Yes, the good bacteria are in the 30 and as long as you move it as the same time that you move the fish it will help make the 75 safe for the cichlids.

Yes, those filters together should be fine for a little while until you get a new filter.

FYI a Fluval FX5 is about $210 on Amazon.

If I just ran two aqueon 90 gallon filters would that be fine for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom