Cloudy Water help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superstarburza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am brand new to the forum so please forgive me if this post is in the wrong spot. I have had a 55gl freshwater aquarium up and running for about a year now. Recently (about two months ago) my water turned cloudy. This was after I replaced my carbon and ammonia neutralizer blend (I did a 30% water change with the carbon/an change; I actually didn't even know I was supposed to change it (obviously, I hadn't changed it in five months), but the water got smelly and green, duh:facepalm:). I had asked several places, and everyone kept telling me that the bacteria cycle is off, but it never got better, in fact kept getting worse (for about 1.5 months). I was doing 50% water changes every week to avoid the tank being completely cloudy. About two weeks ago, my tank sprung a leak. I had to take everything out and reseal it. I cleaned everything really well, and put everything back in. Before I put the fish in I put a bacteria supplement in and (with the old water in the canister) ran the tank for two hours. Everyone got back in OK, but on the second day the tank became cloudy again. I have switched from flake food to frozen bloodworms and the cloudiness seems to have sustained, however it is still there. I have attached a link to a picture of the tank, although I am not sure you can see how cloudy it is from that image. I have tried water clarifier as well, but that doesn't help at all, in fact it makes it worse. Someone please help! How can I get rid of this cloudiness!! If it is from the cycle being off, how long do I wait for it to kick back in? Am I supposed to be doing water changes? This is my first tank and the first 7 months were amazing. I am not sure what I did wrong?

Set-up
55 gallon freshwater
403 fluval canister (Yes I have made sure it is flowing)
New carbon and ammonia neutralizer rocks (rinsed VERY well)
From top to bottom in canister; sponge, c/a rocks, ceramic rings (about a month old)
Two silver dollars (about 4")
Bala Shark (4.5")
4 barbs (a little over quarter size)
1 spotted puffer (quarter size)
Tetra (about 2.5")
Dinosaur Birch (6")
Some type of fish that I don't remember, but he is long with a fin on the bottom, stays at the top of the tank and has almost like a Fu Manchu. (4")
a black snail
three live plants
a heater
air
gravel/some type of red gravel that is good for live plants that I had to rinse like 8 million times:blink:

Thank you for reading... if you have any questions, please let me know. I've taken the picture to fish stores, and can't find anything that will help. :hide:

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n352/superstarburza/IMAG0340.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the article. I do have a very nice testing kit, but (I hate to admit) I don't understand how to read the results (the kit was given to me). I took some water into petsmart, and all the levels were normal according to them.

I was told, if it is the cycle, that eventually it will kick back in... does that sound right? If so, how long does that normally take? I am worried about my fish.

I will take the ammonia chips out...

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom