Cloudy water, no ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iuman1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank up and running for about 10 days now, with 4 fish (2 guppies, 2 danios) and I'm starting to get cloudy water, but my ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm. Is this normal? I have a 5 gallon tank and HOB filter.

i think until the tank cycles you are going to experience intervals of cloudy water, spikes in levels, etc.... just wait it out.... maybe someone else will have better advice for ya :)

I'm a little surprised that it's been up and running for 10 days with 4 fish and no signs of ammonia yet.

How often are you feeding them? When was the last time you tested your water? What about water changes? What sort of dechlorinator are you using and/or are you using any other chemicals?

In my experience, you should have gotten some sort of ammonia reading by now.

FawnN said:
I'm a little surprised that it's been up and running for 10 days with 4 fish and no signs of ammonia yet.

How often are you feeding them? When was the last time you tested your water? What about water changes? What sort of dechlorinator are you using and/or are you using any other chemicals?

In my experience, you should have gotten some sort of ammonia reading by now.

I'm feeding them once a day, haven't done a water change yet, only chemical I used which I used once was StressZyme.

What about dechlorinator? Stress zyme is only a bacteria in a bottle to help jump start your bacterial growth and it is not a dechlorinator to remove deadly chlorine and chloramines.

And I'm wondering since you didn't use a dechlorinator, that whatever waste/ammonia (food for your bacteria) that is being created is getting killed by the chlorine. That would be my guest, but then again, your fish are still alive too. Either way, you should really get some dechlorinator/water conditioner and put it in your tank now to see if that is the cause.

Maybe somone else can give you more suggestions.

FawnN said:
What about dechlorinator? Stress zyme is only a bacteria in a bottle to help jump start your bacterial growth and it is not a dechlorinator to remove deadly chlorine and chloramines.

And I'm wondering since you didn't use a dechlorinator, that whatever waste/ammonia (food for your bacteria) that is being created is getting killed by the chlorine. That would be my guest, but then again, your fish are still alive too. Either way, you should really get some dechlorinator/water conditioner and put it in your tank now to see if that is the cause.

Maybe somone else can give you more suggestions.

Oh, sorry I didn't tell you; of course I used dechlorinator/water conditioner :D

Back
Top Bottom