Cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions.

I get my water tested once a week, everything always perfectly normal. I just started over with some new fish after getting rid of my goldfish under the idea they were the dirty ones- have tetras, danios, and a pleco in the ten gallon tank. I have heard multiple things to do to fix my tank from LFS.

I have tried water changes everyday, once a week, not at all. I have done gravel vaccuming and scavenger animals and tried the algae killing tablets.

I tried the clarifying liquid and tablets. I had one person tell me to use ammonia killing tablets everyday- no dice.

I have a 30 gallon bio filter on it currently- upgrading from a ten gallon filter.

I don't know, I think the tank is cursed.

I even had a LFS employee come check it out and they had no idea.

Anyone have any other ideas? My tank is beginning to become cloudy again...

Oh and the only thing that has ever worked was when my air conditioning broke, but I still maintained the temperature at mid to low seventies. Water was crystal clear like a public aqaurium.

What are your water parameters?

How long has the tank been set up and is it cycled?

Is it the water or the glass that's clouding up?

What kind of pleco do you have?

If you can answer these questions, there's a much better chance we can give some good answers.

Cloudy water is usually due to either overfeeding or a bacteria bloom.

How much do you feed your fish? You should only feed as much as they'll consume in a few minutes. You should never see uneaten food lying about in the tank.

It could be the conditioner you are using when you change your water. I bought a huge gallon of Kordon Nova Aqua, that conditioner makes my tank cloudy. I only use Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner in my tanks now. :wave:
gail

I only use Prime. It has very little in the way of additives, which is why 1 5mL capful treat 50 gallons of water. I bought a 1/2 gallon jug and it will take me years to go through it doing 50% PWCs weekly on my 55.

I don't know you would want ammonia killing tablets. You need ammonia to support your bio-colony. Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate -> PWC. You should only need to do 50% a week or maybe less depending on bio-load. A 30 gallon filter on a 10g tank sure would stir up the water I would think. That may cause an issue.

Interesting that when your tank temp dropped you water cleared up. Could mean you have an algae issue. Is the tank near a window where it would get direct light?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom