Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordErrorprone

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a 55 gal running for about 5 months now and its been doing great, until recently the water has been cloudy 24/7 and everything I've tried hasn't fixed it. I have a protein skimmer, canister filter and a power filter used for surface skimming only. Could someone please give me some advice?

If its hard to see the water is brown. I should have mentioned that in the beginning.

Attachments

• DSCN0299.JPG
    DSCN0299.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 106
brown water...that is a new one for me...so i am not sure what kind of advice i can give...how are your nitrates and ammonia? do you use carbon filters or that new bio-crystal(it is a chemical form of carbon filter can't remember name off by hand)...when was your last clean?

The ammonia is at zero and the nitrate is at 20, they got a water change almost one week ago so their due for another soon. I use carbon filtration, haven't heard of the other stuff your talking about. I do have high wattage lights on there, do you think that could cause the water to turn brown from so much algae?

LordErrorprone said:
They are about 400 watts.

It locks lick red algae. How long do you have the light on for?

Jacj said:
Ok so do 10 to 20% wc and no light for a day or to. And the light for 6 to 8 max.

I had the same thing in a tank and that was from the light being on to long.

LordErrorprone said:
Ok I will try that, is 400 watts too much for a 55 galleon?

Maybe but if you back the light time off to 6 it will be ok. I do 6 and my tank that had the red algae is good. Hope it helps

JMHuestis said:
what he said.. i did no light for almost a week.. except a few minutes before & after feeding.

Next step would be a 4 day black out do a feeding and a 40% pwc / vacuum and wrap up your tank with thick black garbage bags no peeking during this process you fish will be fine then after the 4 days another 40% pwc / vacuum and with your tank water rinse all filter media and you should see a major difference

Then of course cut back on your lighting to 6-8 hours or even split your photo period if you have plants to 3 on 3 off 3 on or 4 on 4 off 4 on a timer will come in handy for this

So I just turned the light on for a second to check the cloudiness and the water has turned white, what does that mean? Should I keep the light off for a couple more days?

LordErrorprone said:
So I just turned the light on for a second to check the cloudiness and the water has turned white, what does that mean? Should I keep the light off for a couple more days?

Don't no but get the fish out. I will ask and get back to you

ryan-peddle said:
If it Is alge and you want to get rid of it by having no lights on then you cant turn them on at all no feedings total darkness

Ok so no light at all for 4 or 5days. And do you have fish in the tank and if yes what r they?

Back
Top Bottom