Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octember123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just recently added sand to my aquarium as a substrate and over the course of 4 weeks my water has gotten cloudy. I am not sure if it is a type of algae or what. My light is on for about 10 hours a day. I am sorry but I have no idea what kind of light I have. Should I completey take everything out and clean it, add chemicals, or just turn my light off earlier. T.(h)a.n.k.s.

Cloudy Tank

Is it white and milky looking? Is this a new tank or an old one you replaced the substrate in? If so it sound like you could have a bacteria bloom.

How long does a BB last??.. My tank is now almost 1 month old. I can never get the water completely clear! I have done many water changes (was having an ammonia problem because I changed filters after 2 weeks to a new unit entirely and didn't keep the old media). The water is never clear- you can see tiny particles in the water- any advice?..

If its still cycling it should clear after the cycle is complete and stable. If its particles of waste, etc then you could add some floss to your filter to help collect it. I'm sure you know now but never completely replace filter media.

If its still cycling it should clear after the cycle is complete and stable. If its particles of waste, etc then you could add some floss to your filter to help collect it. I'm sure you know now but never completely replace filter media.

Thanks much for the info--but what exactly is 'floss' to the filter??

Like pillow batting or hobby/pollyfill. Anything like that as long as its doesn't contain fire retardants/chemicals. You can buy it from your LFS also but they charge alot.

Back
Top Bottom