cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theoldelement

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all im new to the site but any way I have 2 gold fish and a algie eater sorry about the spelling but no matter what I do a few days after cleaning the tank it is a thick fog any ideas?

It sounds like a bacterial bloom. They can happen when the tank is out of whack after a big clean. They can be a sign of a mini cycle. Can you test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Did they filter media get changed by any chance?

Hi! What size tank is is this? What type of goldfish & algae eater? What type of filtration do you have? Do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Some more information will help us to help you better!

Hi all im new to the site but any way I have 2 gold fish and a algie eater sorry about the spelling but no matter what I do a few days after cleaning the tank it is a thick fog any ideas?

Hi! I would normally need some more information, like how big is the tank, how much water (100%?) and how you clean the tank, do you feed a lot? If the water is not green, it's a bacteria bloom, otherwise it's an algae bloom. I will assume it's a bacteria bloom. I'm going to assume there is decay or whatever the bacteria is left in the tank after you clean it The cloudiness bloom is bacteria in the water with too much edible nutrients in the water. The bacteria consume it and reproduce very fast, hence the bloom. Sources of nutrients might be excessive feeding or organic nutrients stirred up by cleaning. I think There might be something in the way you change the water, cleaning the tank that is resulting in this bloom. I think it might be useful to post here your procedure for cleaning in detail so that people might give you some more information. Thanks for reading this long pedantic post.

Okay all on my way home from work last night I picked up some ever clear from my local meijer and when I came home today around 9 it was clear as could be the only question I have now is. Can it harm my fish in any way?

Don't bother with that stuff. It's a waste of money usually. Once you figure out the source of the cloudiness, you will be able to get rid of the cloudiness anyways. I agree that we need to know more about the tank to be more helpful. If it is a bacterial bloom, it won't hurt the fish.

Back
Top Bottom