Cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jc111290

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
8 days ago I added ammonia reducing zeolite to my filter to help reduce the ammonia in my tank. As soon as I added it the water in my fish tank turned completely grey and cloudy so I removed the zeolite and rewashed it to make sure that I got ride of any loose dirt and stuff. When I finally got the tanks clear again (through water changes) I turned my LED hood back on and within a few hours my tank became cloudy again. I did a 50 percent water change and left the lights off and then a 20 percent water change the day after. My water has been more than clear ever since I left the led lights off but as soon as I turn them back on the water starts the process of getting cloudy again. What is the problem? Should I not be using LED lighting?

I haven't heard of lighting making water cloudy, unless it's causing some sort of algae bloom but LED lights generally aren't that powerful. The best way to remove ammonia is through water changes. You should figure out why ammonia is spiking though: is it a new tank? DId you add anything (e.g. fish) or remove anything or mess with the filters? Was the tank stable before the ammonia spike or is it in the process of cycling? So the zeolite is still in there? I'd remove it; it isn't really needed and could be the cause of the cloudiness. Either that or it could be a bacterial bloom but without knowing more info (questions I asked above) it's hard to say for sure.

librarygirl said:
I haven't heard of lighting making water cloudy, unless it's causing some sort of algae bloom but LED lights generally aren't that powerful. The best way to remove ammonia is through water changes. You should figure out why ammonia is spiking though: is it a new tank? DId you add anything (e.g. fish) or remove anything or mess with the filters? Was the tank stable before the ammonia spike or is it in the process of cycling? So the zeolite is still in there? I'd remove it; it isn't really needed and could be the cause of the cloudiness. Either that or it could be a bacterial bloom but without knowing more info (questions I asked above) it's hard to say for sure.

I changed the filter pads and added the zeolite. It's still in there. I have been having an ammonia problem for about a month now. Relatively new tank have had it set up close to two months. Added two new fish.

Ah, changing out the filters and adding more fish would cause a spike. Generally you want to leave filter media alone unless its falling apart. Your tank is probably going through a mini-cycle. THe cloudiness could be a temporary bacterial bloom or from the zeolite, it's hard to say for sure. The most you can do now is test the tank daily for ammonia and nitrite. If either of those spikes to over .25, do a water change(s) to bring them back down until the bacteria re-establishes.

Back
Top Bottom