cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I don't have a qt tank. And he said I would just order from him and when he gets the shipment I go pick it up so basically I would be getting it straight from the supplier

No I don't have a qt tank. And he said I would just order from him and when he gets the shipment I go pick it up so basically I would be getting it straight from the supplier

Ok but you still wanna QT them IMO. Better safe then sorry know what I mean?

Yeah well I don't have anything to use as a qt tank. :-( I'm starting to think I shouldn't have bought this thing

For quarantine you can transfer your HOB filter over to a 10 gallon tank while the new arrivals are in it. Then if the fish stay healthy for about two weeks you can move the fish and filter back to the display tank and drain and store the 10 gallon. They're cheap to pick up. I know it's a pain though. You could always skip the quarantine tank for your first fish (many do) but it's near impossible to catch a fish from a tank with rock once it's in.

Don't get discouraged, your doing GREAT!! You'll be ok. We all hit little bumps on the road in this hobby. I wanted to throw my tank out the window when I was doing a fish in cycle on a heavily stocked cichlid tank 55 gallon. Then I had columnaris and really wanted to call it quits.

BUT awesome members here helped me through it all! People I didn't even know! Now were all like family! And your part of that family!!!

So stay strong and keep doing what your doing! Ask questions and keep up the GREAT work!!

Was that corny? lol

Lol. I made it worse go figure. I broke a fin on the powerhead housing and figured I would glue it and when I pulled it out of the tank a, bunch of stuck came out of it. Looks like the dead kinda hairy stuff on the dead rock apparently it was sick to it. Oh well I'm gonna let just the hob run for a bit and try to filter it out. I've got 2 scrubby pads stuffed in it as a filter for now. Don't see the point in wasting a carbon filter. I used super glue gel

Ok noticed weird stuff on my new live rock?

Purple stringy looking stuff
purple flaky looking stuff
Green thing sprouting kinda looks like a rounded blade of grass

And something else hard to explain

ForumRunner_20130121_142510.jpg

it had like little tinicles that wend back in the stalk thingy when I pulled it out of the water? wtf?

Google fanworm. Could be that. If it is you'll love it. Also google aptasia. If it's that you'll be sad. lol

Are you running your lights? If so how many hours a day?

Googled both doesn't look like either. It is a white thing sticking out of the rock. It had several holes out of each hole purple hand like fingers comes out and they seem to open and close the fingers and if you mess with it it sucks the hands back into the white knob

The purple stuff covering your live rock is coraline algae. It's good. It's really hard to see the other thing on the rock, looks like its protruding from a calcareous tube. May be a feather duster or tube worm.

The green plants are good, not sure of the name. They use calcium. I have the same thing and aquatic critter said it was good but will need to be trimmed back from time to time.

Ok do I noticed I'm losing water due to evaporation. I know to add water . My question is my light has salt on it. Am I losing salt too. How often should I clean the light? I'm guessing every couple of days to top off our do I need to top off every day? How much of a level drop will be ok before I need to top off its a 36 gallon.

When I wipe everything down do I let the salt residue get in the tank?

Ok do I noticed I'm losing water due to evaporation. I know to add water . My question is my light has salt on it. Am I losing salt too. How ofter should I clean the light? I'm guessing every couple I'd days to top off our do I need to top off every day? How much of a level drop will be ok before I need to top off its a 36 gallon.

This is why most do a ATO automatic top off, the salt on your light and you'll see other places is salt creep. Don't wipe it Nd but it back into the tank.

I take my lights/hood off and wipe it with a wet cloth every water change. If your getting that much evap it might be a good idea to have some distilled water on hand and top off everyday at the same time. I'd top off when I got home from work around 3:30pm.

Back
Top Bottom