Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stang23456

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just set up my new 75 gallon tank with cichlid rock substrate and been up and running for two days. The water is still very murky. Any suggestions ?

Any ammonia source yet? Did you rinse the substrate out before adding it?
If its from the substrate then you can do some large water changes to reduce the amount of free floating particles. You can also add some floss to the filter to help remove it. It will eventually settle.

No ammonia source yet. I rinsed the substrate I thought good enough

It's just new tank syndrome

Was it cloudy within an hour of setting up the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
No ammonia source yet. I rinsed the substrate I thought good enough

It will clear. It can be hard to rinse everything out.

It's just new tank syndrome

Was it cloudy within an hour of setting up the tank?

I have to disagree. New tank syndrome aka the cycle needs an ammonia source to start, continue and be maintained. There are no fish and the OP is not dosing ammonia. The cloudy water associated with new tank syndrome is actually a bacterial bloom.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

In this case it's safe to assume the cloudiness is from the substrate.

I've had this before. You think it is all clean....oh, well. Here we are. My trick is to take squares from fleece blankets and stick them in my filters until it mostly clears up. Then I add poly fill batting (way cheaper) or polishing pads. But I think for a new tank, the fleece would suffice and then you can start your cycle. I also you a piece of fleece in an older tank to "seed" a new one. Excellent for holding BB. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
After two 25% water changes and one week after tanks been set up water still cloudy. :(

What came with my aqua clear filter= sponge, carbon and biomax

I don't replace anything, I shove it in behind my filter cartridges. Works like a charm to polish the water. You can buy expensive polishing pads at any LFS, but I and many others have found that loose poly fill like you put in pillows in the craft section work just as good and it is WAY cheaper

Tank still cloudy after one week and 3 water changes. Should I empty tank and clean substrate again ?

After several water changes and a whole tank clean out, including substrate, tank still hazy. Think I'm going to switch to sand

It's normal for a new aquarium to be a bit cloudy. In mine it took about 2 weeks for the water to clear up. If you are planning on switching to sand solely because of the haze I wouldn't bother. Otherwise go for it. But keep in mind newly added sand will put a haze in your aquarium as well so I would suggest washing it super thoroughly. Also, from my experience drift wood will cause water to get hazy quite quickly. I'm not sure if you're using any or not

The change is going to be mostly due to the haze.i just think sand will down the road be easier to maintain. Seems every time I touch the gravel it clouds up. Also, isn't there sand that doesent require pre rinsing ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom