Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dama27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have a 10 gallons tank with 3 Cichlids and a Synodontis. Every thing was fine. I decided to clean it, so I put the fishes away and clean everything, and I put a new cartridge in the filter. Fill up the tank using a yard water hose like always. I prepare the water, wait and put the fishes back in, at night the water was cloudy. The fishes seem to be fine but I am worried. :oops: This morning I change 50% of the water, It is mush clear but steel is cloudy. What can I do??????? :?

don't change any more water. This is completely normal after changing the water of a tank. Watch your chemistries though, esp ammonia and nitrites to be sure you haven't anihilated your bilogical filter in the process of cleaning your tank.

Sounds like a bacterial bloom.
Just sit pretty and (eventually) it will clear.
I do however agree with treedae. Don't change any more water and watch your water parameters. Sounds like you put the fishies through a new tank sydrome. Jeff

There is no need to clean that much of your tank at once. Get a liquid test kit and watch your ammonia and nitrite reading. Both of these can be deadly to fish.
10 gals is small for 3 cichilds and a Synodontis. What types of those fish are you keeping?

A test kit would certainly be the order of the day.
And unless you had an absolute disaster in the aquarium, a total tear down is never a good idea unless you have a suitable place for your scaley friends in the interim.
I also agree that 10 gallons is kind of small for 3 cichlids and a syndontis, but I kept at least that many in my 10 gallon before I ever knew any better. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom