Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didn't know what forum to post this in.
About a week ago, I filled my 10 gallon Glo fish tank with water, and started up my heater and filter. I added in the appropriate amount of aqua safe plus, just cuz. I have a few problems I need addressing and help with.

My 50 watt submersible heater, that is calibrated to keep a constant temperature of 78* barely keeps it at 76*. It usually fluctuates between 76.9 and 76. My 10 - 20 gallon filter seems to be doing fine.

A couple days ago, my water became cloudy. I've added nothing except the filter, the gravel substrate, the heater, aquasafe and foam rubber background. I tested this foam in a separate container and got no abnormal readings, so I don't belive that that is the problem. I will note - I was messing around inside yesterday, and noticed a slimy film on the heater. It wasn't on the filter or the glass as far as I can tell, nor was it on the substrate.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated! I intend to perform a big water change while vacuuming the gravel to see if the same thing happens in a few days.

Probably a bacteria bloom if the tank is cycling. I would leave it for a few days and see if it clears up.

I didnt think it would if i didnt add food, fish or ammonia

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry sorry I thought you were dosing something... If that is the case, and nothing is living in it, then you might as well water change and hope for it to clear up. Keep doing them frequently and see if it clears up. Also, lower your filter till 76 degrees if it can't maintain anything higher. Or buy a second filter and run them both. (it can be a lot weaker, just enough to help out the main filter)

Do what with the filter? U mean heater? Lol

My heater isnt one that can be adjusted.

Also
What if it doesnt clear up?
Id also like to know why the plastic psrts on my heater were slimey. Why is the water cloudy?

This is seriously gettin to me lol

I will do the water change tomorrow. Ive got time....

This article should help.

Check the third bold font. "Cloudy water and I don't have fish yet!"

Hope that I helped. - Raymond

Ray I think u may have found my issue. I dont remember rinsing out my filter components before turning it on. Looks like its time for a big ol water change. Do you think that also explains the slime coat on my heater?

Most likely, yes. You probably just notice it on the heater more because it is black or something. OR because it is warmer... Don't know. XD

Good luck! - Raymond

I cant see the slime coat on the heater....but i can definately feel it

Could be residue or dust from the new substrate. If you didn't rinse super SUPER well then you will get cloudy water for a day or so. Just give your filter time and it should clear up soon enough. Even if you did rinse well, odds are new substrate still murks up a tank a little.

Im gonna do a water change and siphon the gravel

Y does it matter? Theres no fish and i havent begun the cycle so there shouldn't be any beneficial bacteria to kill....

Well idk bout that. The filters been running for a week, shouldn't it have all the bullshit out by now?

Back
Top Bottom