Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my tank for about a week and did about a 25% water change yesterday thinking it would help and it's still cloudy....I tested for ph and nitrate and everything seemed normal besides the hardness of the water was alittle off but nothing bad. Is there any thing else to do for the water?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is a mostly whitish cloudy, you may have a bacteria bloom.
Give your filter time to build up proper bacteria bed.
This often happens when several fish are introduced to a newly setup tank.
Keep doing the water changes and just wait.
If you need to rinse your filter media, do it in the siphoned water from the tank.

Oh ok!! Yeah that does make sense. Thanks

The cloudy water won't hurt my cichlids will it ???

The cloudy water won't hurt my cichlids will it ??? Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Too many reasons as to why water gets cloudy. General maintenance not kept, over feeding, filter issues etc

How big is your tank ? And what filter or filters are u running

Sent from my LGMS323 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 45 gallon and my filter is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409356433.452707.jpg

Oh nice I was going to recommend the whisper that's what I run on all My tanks there's awesome. But I also run a submersible filter at the same time cascade 400 because I ad the same problem. Let the whisper work it might do the trick if not I'd think about an submersible filter to run as well

Its a cascade 600 sorry I had to go looking for the box

Attachments

• 1409374090173.jpg
    1409374090173.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 58
Okay thanks I'll have to check that out! It's really bothering me it was fine when I had my one cichlid and than I added 3 more fish and a big plant and than it got cloudy I even tried a water clarifier and it didn't work.... At all. Just hope my water changes help.

Oh ok thanks for showing me! Was that expensive!?

No problem do u have sand or gravel? What type of fish are in it ? I'd consider the sub filter just because the amount of fish your water will be crystal clear. Also water clarifiers are hard to come by one that works I used acurelf works good also. But haven't use it since adding the sub

I have gravel and I have cichlids. Yeah it would be nice if I didn't have to use a clarifier. lol

I have a pindani a zebra obliquiden a yellow lab a jewel a johanni and a acei and a ob peacock

Yea your kinda overstocked which is probably your problem. Your going to have to.do Atleast a 50 percent water change once a week if you don't get the sub if you do your 25 percent a week Is fine. You don't have to do a sub filter if you don't want you can buy a smaller whisper to throw on the back of ur tank also just to help clear up the water. Try a 50 percent change first it may work that whisper is kick *** once it gets going

To be honest you sould only have one or 2 of those in a 45 gallon. When I first bought my tank I really overstocked it lol some same its over stocked now I wouldn't augue that eirher

Its all a process and a matter of opinion you'll find something that works and just stick to it. Good luck

As long as your ammonia and nitrite is 0 your fish will be fine. Its most likely a mini cycle or bacterial bloom. just keep up on your water changes or do even more frequent water changes if it bothers you and it will go away just as fast as it showed up. I don't think you are over stocked. Also I would recommend that you have at least 10x filtration so 450 gallons per hour. Let us know how it is after your water change. If you do get another filter and stay with HOB I would recommend either aqua clear, fluval c series or marineland bio wheel.

Okay Thankyou!! I will deffiantly try the water changes! It's starting to clear up alittle but still cloudy. I'll keep you updated

Back
Top Bottom