Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On 2-16 I bought a new 29 gallon freshwater tank with an appropriate size filter, heater, and thermometer (78 degrees all the time). After letting it run for 3 days, I bought a Raphael Catfist, a guppy, and a Wag Red Platy. I then added 2 Glofish, a bala shark, a cobra guppy, and an african frog on 2-28. All the fish seem to be doing fine, but this morning I noticed the water was cloudy and when I got back from work, even more cloudy. Fish still seem normal. I know I should have gotten test kits to test the amonia levels in the tank before adding fish and I also realize my choice of fish right now is questionable (bala shark, catfish). But I don't want to lose any of them. I can't get out today to get test kits because there is a winter storm happening where I live. Is the cloudyness something I shoud try to fix by changing some of the water right away? If so, what percentage should I change?

Thanks

Hi jonny1982:

It's most likely a bacterial bloom, which is pretty common with new tanks. It's harmless to your fish and will eventually fade.

The more important thing right now is to get your test kit and find out what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are. From your descriptions, it sounds as though you did not cycle your tank before adding the fish. If, after you get your test kit, you discover measurable amounts of ammonia or nitrite (or both), I suggest you add the product Prime by Seachem to your water to protect your fishes from poisoning until the cycle is complete.

-Yorg

On 2-16 I bought a new 29 gallon freshwater tank with an appropriate size filter, heater, and thermometer (78 degrees all the time). After letting it run for 3 days, I bought a Raphael Catfist, a guppy, and a Wag Red Platy. I then added 2 Glofish, a bala shark, a cobra guppy, and an african frog on 2-28. All the fish seem to be doing fine, but this morning I noticed the water was cloudy and when I got back from work, even more cloudy. Fish still seem normal. I know I should have gotten test kits to test the amonia levels in the tank before adding fish and I also realize my choice of fish right now is questionable (bala shark, catfish). But I don't want to lose any of them. I can't get out today to get test kits because there is a winter storm happening where I live. Is the cloudyness something I shoud try to fix by changing some of the water right away? If so, what percentage should I change?

Thanks

Thanks. I did put Prime in the tank when I first got it. Should I put some more in do you think? Should I change a small amount of the water to be on the safe side, or do you think fish will make it? It's just that the kids have already become so attached to these fellas, their hearts would break if something happened so soon

Hi jonny1982:

Since you don't know what your ammonia and nitrite levels are right now, it might be a good idea to add some of the Prime -- maybe half a capful or so -- every 24 hours. This will help protect the fish from ammonia and nitrite poisoning if either is present. When you do your tests, if there's no detectable ammonia or nitrite then you can go back to using the Prime to treat new water for water changes.

A partial water change certainly wouldn't hurt right now; it would help dilute any ammonia or nitrite present in the water. I think, though, that the Prime is the best bet for now.

If you can get some additional aeration in your tank, that would be helpful since it fosters the growth of the nitrifying bacteria.

You might also want to check your fish for symptoms of ammonia poisoning (usually gasping at the surface, inflammation of the gills or eyes, lethargy) and, if you notice any, increase the amount of Prime slightly.

-Yorg

Thanks. I did put Prime in the tank when I first got it. Should I put some more in do you think? Should I change a small amount of the water to be on the safe side, or do you think fish will make it? It's just that the kids have already become so attached to these fellas, their hearts would break if something happened so soon

Changed 5 gallons of the water, added about 3/4 capful of prime. Found frog dead :(

Hi jonny1982:

Sorry about the loss of the frog. You could probably do more substantial water changes (around 10-15 gallons) at this time to dilute any ammonia and nitrite you may have. Keep adding the Prime, and when you get your test kit let us know what your numbers are.

-Yorg

Changed 5 gallons of the water, added about 3/4 capful of prime. Found frog dead :(

Ah, you started the tank for 3 days then added your first fish ? I guess for an bacterial bloom. I would monitor ammonia and nitrites for the next month, you may lose fishs if ammonia or nitrites raise.

I would read on the web about the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already.

Also, never clean the filter bio media under tap water, or the process will reset.

CHeck that: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

When you do water changes, make sure the new water is the same temperature than the aquarium temperature, you can mix hot and cold water from the tap.

Back
Top Bottom