Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgrippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So according to the LFS I frequent my 35 gal. tank has been cycled, I did a 25% water change yesterday and the cloudyness went away for a little bit. I don't know the water parameters because I don't have a test kit yet but they told me it was good, yesterday. It's not extremely cloudy but there is a faint milkiness to it. Will this go away or do I need to do something to it? Also I have four 2in goldfish in there right now that the store had me use to cycle the tank. I will be taking them out this weekend when I get the fish I actually want to put in there. Any thoughts are appreciated. Attached picture for reference.
36bca058a28f093a188f0059a0dfacae.jpg

In fish cycles (imo) are cruel, kind of like me throwing someone in a burning fire.
The milkiness I think in your cycled tank, is just micro algae (that's what I call it), are you using charcoal in your filter?
How long did you cycle your tank for? usually milkiness is part of the tank cycling.

In fish cycles (imo) are cruel, kind of like me throwing someone in a burning fire.
The milkiness I think in your cycled tank, is just micro algae (that's what I call it), are you using charcoal in your filter?
Just the bit that is in the filter cartridges. It looks like probably a few tablespoons worth.

Three 1/2 weeks sounds about right. Keep the charcoal in the filter, when you switch it out dump the charcoal from the packet (or cartridge) then put the actual cartridge back in the filter with some Bio Sponge so the beneficial bacteria spread over to the sponge, then throw away the empty cartridge.

Three 1/2 weeks sounds about right. Keep the charcoal in the filter, when you switch it out dump the charcoal from the packet (or cartridge) then put the actual cartridge back in the filter with some Bio Sponge so the beneficial bacteria spread over to the sponge, then throw away the empty cartridge.
The cartridge and charcoal are a self contained unit. I replace the cartridge and it has a biowheel that acts as the biological filter for the beneficial Bacteria. That's the larger filter then I have a smaller filter that has a sponge like you said and a pouch cartridge that you can replace just the carbon or vice versa. The big one is a penguin 200 biowheel and the small one is a tetra whisper pf-10.

The cartridge and charcoal are a self contained unit. I replace the cartridge and it has a biowheel that acts as the biological filter for the beneficial Bacteria. That's the larger filter then I have a smaller filter that has a sponge like you said and a pouch cartridge that you can replace just the carbon or vice versa. The big one is a penguin 200 biowheel and the small one is a tetra whisper pf-10.

ah ok I didn't know that I see :) on biological bacteria you are good 2 go then it sounds like. Milkiness with my own experience should go away by itself eventually. Just the experience I had with it

Back
Top Bottom