Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sok_Papa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello.I used 0.3ml of the flourish fertilizer after a recent partial water change and my water has been cloudy since then! I panicked cause the fish were gasping and did another partial water change and the water is still cloudy but they aint gasping now...Any ideas?

Hello.I used 0.3ml of the flourish fertilizer after a recent partial water change and my water has been cloudy since then! I panicked cause the fish were gasping and did another partial water change and the water is still cloudy but they aint gasping now...Any ideas?

Could be a bacterial bloom caused by an ammonia spike due to over cleaning filter sponges, completely replacing filter sponges or failing to use a dechlorinator.

It’s also possible that the cloudy water is caused by mineral precipitation of the fertiliser. Perhaps iron bonding with another ion such as phosphate and precipitating out of solution to cloud the water.

If the fish are gasping it is more likely the former.

soo how can i solve it.They seem calm now but the water is still cloudy white
could it be that when water changing and reinserting water i splashed it on the filter?

soft and yes i do i use 5ml for my 20L.

Do you disturb the substrate when you change the water?

I would buy some magnesium sulphate and add 1 gram dry to your water that you are putting in the tank. This will ensure the major minerals in the water are magnesium and sulphate which is much more natural for the fish osmoregulatory system.

I’ve had many issues in the past with cloudy water and and fish gasping after water changes in my very soft water. Try this.

Do i need to neutralize the ammonia first? And after i add what u sayed for me to buy do i need to wait? Yes i do disturb the substrate but it doesnt take long to sit.

Do i need to neutralize the ammonia first? And after i add what u sayed for me to buy do i need to wait? Yes i do disturb the substrate but it doesnt take long to sit.

What ammonia are you talking about? In the tap water?

Disturbing the substrate can release ammonia.

No need to wait.

Back
Top Bottom