Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some cloud water, but I'm not sure what it is. Can you identify this?

img_636330_0_ab82421b3e5f5c4b3ef557f6d59306d1.jpg

And does anybody know if there is a way to make the redish green plant in the middle not keep slanting forward?

Looks like a slight algae bloom, aka a light case of green water. Can be cleared up with a diatom filter, UV sterilizer, or a blackout.
caused by too much light and/or not enough nutrients

Do you have any test kits? What are your levels like?

did you make sure you don't have a thin layer of algae on the glass? one of my tanks does this when I get lazy about dosing, and it makes the water look hazy, but its just the glass.

otherwise I'd agree with Blazer, looks like slight suspended algae bloom. I'd focus on the cause first, then take whatever steps necessary to correct and remove it.

I have tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrates - 5-10
I use the AP Tests.

It isn't algae on the glass. In real life the water is much cloudier than in the picture. Also it has gotten to the point that I can barely see the heater. I'm going to do a water change later so it might clear things a little bit. Every week I dose potassium, phosphates and occasionally nitrates. I use the seachem products. According to the dosing calculator in the fertilizing sticky, I dose about 15 ppm of potassium, 1.0 Phosphates, and every 2 or 3 days I dose about 1-5 ppm of nitrates, but usually I don't dose much since everytime I check my nitrates, it is always 5+ ppm.

Unfortunately most of the hobbiest grade test kits for Nitrates aren't highly accurate under 10ppm Nitrate. It's entirely possible that your tank is closer to 0ppm Nitrate and that this is the reason for you Green Water. I would recommend bumping your Nitrate up to 15-20ppm instead. If you want to maintain Nitrate levels under 10ppm, you'll want to pick up a LaMotte test kit to ensure that you have accurate test results to base your dosing on. It would also be a very good idea to pick up a Phosphate test kit. Dosing blindly could lead to a severe imbalance between your Nitrate and Phosphate, another prime cause for Green Water and other algae. Ideally you want your Nitrate at 10-20ppm to 1 ppm Phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom