Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
OMG! A few days ago, I notice my tank was getting kinda cloudy looking. No problem, I figured, as I had just added some plants and the Cabomba was causing a bit of a problem, being ripped up quite a bit by fishes, and I figured that plant bits were clogging the filter.

So I take out the course and fine floss, rinse it out, and reinsert.

24 hours later, looks a little clearer I think, but not by much, so I replace both the course and fine floss.

That was yesterday, and the water looks cloudier that ever. I tested, and all of my levels seem normal (except for kH, I get absolutely nothing...weird, gonna go to lfs and see if they'll test for me), and none of my fish appear to be suffering; nobody gasping for air, krib still breeding, whathaveyou.

Anyway, any suggestions?

does the cloudiness have a green tint to it? you could have a major algae bloom (green water). did you test phosphates?

this just recently happened to my planted tank out of nowhere, the week went on and the water got greener and greener despite water changes, and oddly my phosphates were 0 ppm. i do not know what causes greenwater, for i haven't done any research on it

i did, however, solve the problem (very effectively) by getting an UV sterilizer for my tank. tank was completely clear within 2 days, and i believe they work for cloudy water as well as greenwater (not positive though)

I have found that Nutrafin Max food makes my water cloudy... so I switched to tetrafin. How new is your tank? It could be a bacteria bloom.

Nik

How damerous do you think that this might be for my fish? I believe that it likely is a algae bloom of sorts, but don't want to run out and spend the coin on a UV sterilizer...

I guess that's a stupid thing to say...I think I'll go do that now...

i'm having the same problems. but i suppose it could be because I'm going through medication on my tank with PimaFix and i took out my filters during this time.

Anyone know if it's the absence of filter or is it the pimafix that's causing this?

Depends on the color of the cloud. If the cloud is white it is likely a bacteria cloud caused by newly cycling or disturbing the filter media. If it is green it is algae likely caused by excess nutrients and too much light.

cloud is excusively white. so i'm hoping this will pass after sometime? hopefulling after inserting a new filter cartridge?

by adding co2 and cutting back on light time (possibly intensity also) help?

My water is awfully green. I'm not going to get a uv sterilizer any time soon.

I hope 8 hours of light (down from 12), my T5 (down from T5 + 17W), and the addittion of co2 will rectify this.

Also, upping my tank temp should help, right?

Attachments

• algae_110.jpg
    algae_110.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 29
gautier sounds like a bacteria bloom it should go away when the bacteria find a place to roost. Watch you parameters and be prepared to change water.

Super I saw your thread over in planted so you are know in good hands to beat the GW.

gautier said:
cloud is excusively white. so i'm hoping this will pass after sometime? hopefulling after inserting a new filter cartridge?

Give it a few days. I had my 10g go through that. Horrible smell for 2-3 days and then as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. It's just a bacterial bloom that happens in some tanks. In two of my five that has happened. No big deal. Just keep a close eye on the fish for any signs of stress. :wink:

cool thanks :) today is the last day of no filter, pimafix medication.
finally can continue restocking this tank by tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom