Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new filter two days ago, and even before that my water was cloudy (white). Yesterday and the day before, it was cloudy as well. I just did my weekly 20% PWC and it's cloudy now because of all the gunk that I wiped off the walls and stuff. If it is still cloudy by tonight, I am going to be concerned.

Could this be bacteria? I tested my water, Ammo and Nitrite were 0, Nitrate was around 5.

It's a bacteria bloom. It'll go away on it's own but you need to watch your ammonia and nitrites.

It's possibly just really small particles that the filter can't strain. Pick up some filter floss and see if that will help. It's basically 100% polyester stuffing you can get at WalMart or other craft stores. It's great for filtering.

No, it is not a new tank.

I have filter floss on there already. It is really dirty, maybe I should change it. I won't be able to keep an eye on my levels though because I am going on vacation.

Do you have a glass canopy that completely covers the top of your tank? If so, try propping up the lid with a piece of foam to let air in under it. The aerobic bacteria, needs the water to have a certain oxygen content to survive. The primary source of oxygen in your tank water is from surface contact with air. If your glass top is preventing fresh air from circulating, the air will not have enough oxygen to transfer to the water.

You could be going through a mini-cycle. It sounds like you had a bacteria bloom before you got the new filter. Now with the new filter, the bloom is bigger. While ugly, they're not harmful to the fish. I had one a while ago and it took about 2 months to clear up.

did you not seed the new filter with material from your existing one? if you didn't use the odl media or let them run side my side for about a month then its mini cycling, which is where the new filter is growing new bacteria to convert everything :)

I did seed the new filter when I got it.

My water is still cloudy, params are still 0. Its ticking me off, very ugly to look at.

Back
Top Bottom