Clown, Anemone & Trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Marine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a rose bulb anemone and a maroon clown in my community tank for a couple of years now. Everyone got along fine untill the recent addition of a lemon peel angel. My clown got very aggressive and nearly killed his new tank mate... :evil:

I moved the clown and his anemone to a new 30 gallon tank. The angel survived, and is doing fine.

Now that I have a new 30 gallon with only the clown and his anemone, I'm thinking about adding a Humu Trigger fish.

Now I know triggers and coral, shrimp & clams wont work, but how about with the anemone? Will the trigger bother it???

Thanks in advance!
Dan

I do not know about the BTA but Live aquaria said it is not reef compatible. It also says that it should be in a 125 gallon tank. Based on this info I would say probably not.

Maybe we are talking about a different trigger. This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=255

As far as tank size they say 70 gallon, I assume that is for an adult fish, at the lengh of a foot???

My plan was to get one 2" or so. If it out grows the tank, I would certainly move him to a more approiate sized aquarium.

I realize triggers are not reef compatible, but does that include anemones???

[/url]

My experience with my Niger Trigger is that, The bigger he got the more aggressive and interested in the other fish he becomes. He used to pick at all the inverts. I had to get rid of him or end up with just him.

All fish have different temperments.
Hope it works out for you though.

Vegas Marine, they're right. Besides the fact that the triggers get big, they're really mean as they grow old.

On a side note, I visited my Mom in Vegas (near Henderson) and found this LFS right by Gibson St and I-215. Are you familiar with that LFS?

Let me just tell you, this guy has the best LFS I have seen. And I've seen a lot of good ones here in Maryland. That is by far the best I've seen.

You might want to ask him (the old guy), he seems very knowledgeable.

Back to the topic, the trigger would probably become irritating to your other specimen once it reaches somewhere in the realm of 2.5 inches or so. And that's not even a quarter of its Max size. Even at 2.5 inches, the 30G is already too small for this dude because it seems to swim a lot.....really swim a lot. It goes back and fourth from left to right on my 4-footer. And my tank is still too small for the guy.

I hope that helps and good luck on your angel. I wish it full recovery.

Most Triggs eat inverts so I wouldn't recommed it. Unless your anenome is somewhat large (such as a Carpet ) I would not risk it. Their size as well as their temperment are also a negative factor.

Back
Top Bottom