Clown Fish NOT in Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy-o

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had 2 juvenile clown fish for two weeks now along with a new 4" pink bubble tip anemone. The fish have shown no interest in the anemone. Should they have now or will they ever? They seem to just hang out together; much of the time in front of the powerhead about 12 inches above the anemone.

They may or they may never. It just depends on them.

Prob not. I had one that the anemone hosted immediately but it died shortly after getting it due to disease and the new one and his mate show not interest so i guess it depends on the individual. The one i had the anemone hosted though was really really young so that may have played a factor wish he wouldn't have died.

Heres a photo anyways.

Attachments

• 2012-06-27_14-45-15_557.jpg
    2012-06-27_14-45-15_557.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 107
Daddy-o said:
I have had 2 juvenile clown fish for two weeks now along with a new 4" pink bubble tip anemone. The fish have shown no interest in the anemone. Should they have now or will they ever? They seem to just hang out together; much of the time in front of the powerhead about 12 inches above the anemone.

Tank raised clowns will not always host a nem. Also species will determine likely nems they host in the wild. This is not always true, but majority of the time is. They may host, they may never. Time will tell.

I have 2 tank raised clowns and 2 anemones, a pink tip Condy , and a small green bubble tip. My clowns have never had anything to do with either nem, I had a couple damsels before that loved the Condy, I about kept them for that but I couldn't add anything else with them so they had to go. I now have a feather duster and the clowns are always in it , they love the feather duster. You may check one out although I have read that of you have clean enough water for sps, it may be too clean for a feather duster and he may starve, I've had mine for about 2 months and it seems fine so far.

If you want them to host the nem there are a couple things you could try but they may or may not work. First is to go on google and find a picture of the same clowns as you have hosting the same anemone and print it off, then tape it to the side of the tank near the anemone where they can see it and it will act as a "dummies guide for hosting". The other trick I've heard of is to remove the clowns and the nem to a separate tank (usually much smaller like a 10g) and keep it practically empty just a piece of live rock and powerhead to keep water clean. There is no proven method to force them to host as it depends on the clowns, tank raised clowns are even harder to get hosting but hopefully one of these tricks will yield results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom