Clown Fish pregnant..what do i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gizmo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI,

I'm pretty sure my clown fish is pregnant, they have dug a little hole in the pebbles and they keep swimming around that area..like protecting it.
The thing is, is there anything i can do to help the eggs hatch?
My tank is pretty small, 26litres and i only have 2 clown fishes in there and 2 snails.
I do my water change every week.
I was told that the eggs will hatch in pitch darkness and that i will need to turn off any circulation in my tank..but the thing is how would i know when to do this?

please help,

The eggs do hatch just after the lights go out but unless you have a well cycled seperate tank to rear them, the chances of survival will not be good. FWIW, once the clowns start to breed they typically repeat it like clock work on a bi-weekly/monthly basis. If you do wish to try raising the fry, you will have more opportunities.

Here are a few articles that may help for now.

Breeding Marine Clownfish.... by Robert Goldstein
Breeding Clownfish..... by David Bloch

If your serious about attempting this in earnest, I would definately suggest the book below. :wink:

.... by Joyce D. Wilkerson

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the links for me also.. my pair of clowns are wiggling all over eachother and acting like they want to spawn. time for me to read up, get another special tank and get some rotifers going too. baby clowns would be irresistably cute

snapcrackler said:
Thanks for the links for me also.. my pair of clowns are wiggling all over eachother and acting like they want to spawn. time for me to read up, get another special tank and get some rotifers going too. baby clowns would be irresistably cute

HMMMMMMMMMMMM..............
Oscar food :)

by the way, how do you tell the difference between boy and girl clowns anyway? Id like to get a pair for mine when the time comes

You can either purchase them in pairs. Or the female will be larger than the male. Clown fish can also change sex from male to female.

Back
Top Bottom