Clown Knifefish...Big Boy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhqwhgads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello out there. I've got a clown knifefish which I've had for about half a year. He started out really small...about 2 1/2 inches and now he's pushing about 5. Fastest growing fish I've ever enountered, seems like everytime he eats he grows. 8O He's been pretty content in a 55 Gal. living in a rock grotto decoration. (Before I continue let me state that I do know that these fish grow quite large and probably aren't meant to be in aquariums in the first place. I plan to purchase a bigger tank as soon as he reaches 10 inches...well maybe as soon as possible since the other inhabitants of the tank would really appreciate the peace of mind.) My question is, what is the best size of an aquarium to go with? Minimum that I've considered is a 120 Gal (I have pondered that this would be quite small at his prime though since I won't be transporting him anywhere after this move.) At this point, considering giving him up would be too great a loss for me. I don't like to give up any of my fish and am prepared to be a responsible fish owner. All your suggestions are greatly appreciated always. :D

A 150g+ is probably the minimum I would suggest after research I have done here and elsewhere about these fish. I know how terrible it feels to have to give one of these "babies" up, FYI. :) I had one for about two and a half years and I finally had to put him up for adoption last month when he sprouted another 2" while I was at school (as in your case, it was after he had a gluttonous feast on 50 or so adult guppies that this seemed to happen) and I found myself without the funds (or the space) to set up a new tank for him. He lives in a very large show tank now, however, so I don't feel as bad.

If possible, try to get a 200g or larger. Clown knives appear to be able to get quite close to their wild size when kept on a varied, meaty diet. I have seen 2'+ specimens for sale every so often.

A 240g would be nice for one of these and a few other large, robust fish around the 2' size or smaller (just not small enough for him to eat ;)). The dimensions for a "long" version of this tank are 96" x 24" x 25"-- 8' of swimming space (as opposed to the rather unacceptable 5' of a 120g) should keep your knife very happy, especially if you provide ample cover for him to weave in and out of. Remember, the bigger the better. =)

Wheee! Thumbs up for being such a responsible fish owner and being prepared :)

Yeah, those knifefish get to be some pretty big puppys. I agree that a 200g would be a bare minimum size; you're talking about a fish that will top out around 4 feet long (48 inches) with exceptional care.

Yup...he's my baby...well soon to be huge baby. All smiles there. :mrgreen: I take that back though...seems he's bigger than I thought, he's more like almost 7 inches (i measured :lol: ). I swear everytime I turn around he's got this growth spurt that takes place...and I have a feeling I ain't seen nothing yet. But yeah, these fish can eat...and I don't even want to think about how much is spent on food for the fella. But but..hes so awesome. :D
As for the tank situation...well see...I got a couple of pangasius cats (irridescent kitties as I like to call em) who will also need a suitable home at adulthood so the bigger is acually the better so I'm thinking a 240 Gallon would be perfect. Still pondering on that one though. What else would be some suitable tankmates for Mr. ClownKnife when he gets older?

A 240g sounds like a plan...for now, at least. :)

I wouldn't suggest anything too rambunctious (ex. jaguars, etc.) just because knives are relatively "gentle" for such big fish and wouldn't appreciate a boisterous tankmate. One of the larger Polypterus might be fun, but that's just a suggestion-- you might want to check with people who have actually kept them. Eels would find a home in a 240g, but they might be thin enough that the clown or another predator would simply snap them up.

Hm.. there's not a lot of info on the compatibility of various big fishes simply because not a lot of people keep them.

ive never thought how big a 4 ft long fish could be and how big the mouth would be but maybe some corys:) my new crave is upside down catfish eh?

Yeah...had a really bad incident with corys and the clown knife (even at this size)...err had a couple of pandas that I thought :? were safe... :cry: but sadly they disappeared without a trace. I have no other option but to think that the clown might have gotten carried away during feeding time. As for catfish...hmm maybe a bigger type synodontis might be alright. I don't really want to push my luck anymore and underestimate the clown's huge mouth. Upside-down catfish have always been one of my favorites though...they're awesome too. :mrgreen: I might consider another knifefish of some sort.

How about some Pacus? I've seen some pretty big guys that were very gentle acting. Or maybe someone could fill us in on gouramis (I know they get pretty large too).
-Mark

Do not keep more than one knifefish in a tank, as they can interfere with each other's "electrical detection systems" (for lack of a better phrase), and adults can be aggressive toward conspecifics.

Back
Top Bottom