Clown Loach Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I bought two adorable tiny (approx. 3/4") clown loach for my 29 gallon tank that was infested with snails (the snails came with plants in tubes marked "snail free" at lfs). I had read online that clown loach would eat the snails. I know they will get 8 to 12" and will need to be moved. Does anyone know how fast clowns grow. I have 55 gallon tanks I can move them to.

:fish2:

I had the same problem and bought one.I never really see him/her eatin them but after about a month I noticed no more snails and now one off my fav fish to watch.they take a long time before they get to big so enjoy why u have them

I had the same problem and bought one.I never really see him/her eatin them but after about a month I noticed no more snails and now one off my fav fish to watch.they take a long time before they get to big so enjoy why u have them[/QUOTE

The two are out all the time playing and are so cute. I had read you should have 4 or 5, but since they get so big I decided 2 was enough. Right now I don't even want to think about rehoming them back to lfs. Thanks for the info.

I've had a single clown for quite a few years. They grow roughly an inch an year. A 4 inch clown is ~4 years old. They will make quick work of snails but should not be purchased for the sole purpose of snail removal. I've always been on the side of fix the underlying issues (overfeeding) and the snails will take care of themselves. Don't buy a fish just to fix a problem, IMO.

You should have plenty of time to either rehome him before he gets too big or plan accordingly for an upgrade.

I've had a single clown for quite a few years. They grow roughly an inch an year. A 4 inch clown is ~4 years old. They will make quick work of snails but should not be purchased for the sole purpose of snail removal. I've always been on the side of fix the underlying issues (overfeeding) and the snails will take care of themselves. Don't buy a fish just to fix a problem, IMO.

You should have plenty of time to either rehome him before he gets too big or plan accordingly for an upgrade.

Seconded. An inch a year is a good rule of thumb for Clown's.

Fantastic fish though!

Back
Top Bottom