Clown Loach rapid breathing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry I posted this same thread in general discussion, forgot there was an unhealthy fish section. I bought two clown loaches, and have had them for two days, they're in a qt for observation and I saw that one of them is breathing really hard. I looked at both fish and saw some specks of ich. They both swim fine and are fairly active. My QT is a 15 gallon with a Whisper 40 and a Aquatech 5-15, 50w heater, and good water conditions. Ammonia and nitrite both zero. What's wrong with my fish?

If they have ich, that could be the reason for the rapid breathing. Ich gets in the gills and makes it more difficult to breathe. How are you treating the ich? The best way to treat, since they are in QT, is to slowly raise the temperature to 86*, and leave it up there for at least 10 days.

dkpate said:
If they have ich, that could be the reason for the rapid breathing. Ich gets in the gills and makes it more difficult to breathe. How are you treating the ich? The best way to treat, since they are in QT, is to slowly raise the temperature to 86*, and leave it up there for at least 10 days.

Already am, temp at 86 and regiment of ich medicine. How do clowns do at high temps?

I think they do alright, I had my black loaches at that temp and they were fine. You will need to also add an airstone or lower the water level, since warmer water has less oxygen (that could be another reason for the rapid breathing).

dkpate said:
I think they do alright, I had my black loaches at that temp and they were fine. You will need to also add an airstone or lower the water level, since warmer water has less oxygen (that could be another reason for the rapid breathing).

It was originally at 82, i have 2 airstones and a hob with lower water level to agitate the surface. I doubt it's because of the oxygen level because my other loach is fine

Back
Top Bottom