clown loach still gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
well its been close to 2 weeks now, clownloach is still gone, I have no idea where he is, water parameters are fine so I guess hes not decaying or he's jumped out of the tank, I'vve looked everywhere

Hmm, fish can really travel just by flopping around. One of my koi jumped out of my pond, and he was found many feet away. Probably about 17 feet. I hope you find him alive, but it does sound grim. Good luck with the search!

Do you have ANY decorations that are hollow?

My clowns would disappear and I wouldn't see them for a week and then they'd appear. I even took everything out of the tank and on a whim I looked in the decor. I didn't think they could get in there but they did. I had to carefully smash it open to remove them.
I didn't care about breaking it as I was removing it anyway in case they got to big and decided to get stuck in there in the future.

I added caves they can hang in.

it could be making it's own new hiding place. i have a clown that could dig into the sand under an airstone.

IceH2O said:
Do you have ANY decorations that are hollow?

same thing happens with my kuhlis and BGK, i have this tree/mushroom thing from petsmart, and it has these holes that are suppose to let water in and air out, thought for awhile they were gonners, but just fish that like hiding in inconceivable places...

some fish are pretty stuipd too, or just lazy, like i can lift a cave outta the water when i gravel vac it, and the pleco will stay attached for some time out of the water

so careful when pulling stuff out, how big was the loach?

Khulis are known to pretty much burrow deep beneath sand substrate and they can go 'missing' for weeks on end. They always reappear when it comes time to do any major work (like move a tank or break down all the decor to rebuild or whatnot), though it adds to the stress of substrate cleaning!

As for your clown: sadly, I think he's probably gone. I had a very young clown not so long ago that did just that: he lived in a cave I made for him, and one day we just noticed he never emerged. I waited a couple of days, tore down the cave, no sign. I rummaged through the substrate too and no luck. Never did find him.
The likely result is that he died and decayed b/c I had a fairly bad algae bloom around that time too :(

I hope you do find him though: they are lovely fish and it's a shame to lose one. Let us know what happens (I'm hoping it's good news!)

I have a pice o fwood thats full of caves and holes, he used to hde in it and icoul dsee him with a flash light, but not now, I'm gonna break itopen and find him

One of my 3 yo-yos is missing too. I don't know if it's hiding or if it died and the other fish ate it. There are no wholes in the tank for it to jump out...so I'm also wondering what happened to him...

Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom