Clown loaches not acting normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meloyelo

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 6 weeks ago I acquired 4 small clown loaches, each about 2-1/2" long. They have all been doing great until recently. Up until about a week ago, they have all been very active and were eating great. I would drop in some algae waffers and bottom feeder pellets and they would be all over them, pushing their way around competing with my corys for the food. They would be clicking away as they ate. I also put in fresh zucchini, which they would gobble away at. They were also very active, zooming around the tank stopping only long enough to do their "loach dance". Now in a few days time they have totally changed. They seem to have no appetite, and just sit or lay on their sides under a rock ledge. I see them swim out every now and again, but their behavior has totally changed. I've done nothing new with the tank such as adding more fish, etc. Just not sure what could be going on here. This is a 55 gallon tank and I do 2 50% WC weekly to try to keep water quality as good as possible. Water params are all good. Any advice?

Thanks!

First of all don't freak out by clown loaches lying on their side, it's common behaviour for clowns despite how depressing it can look for first time owners :)

My clowns went through a similar process after I disturbed their tank (i.e. Aquascaping) and it took them a few weeks to become confident again (i.e. Loach dance).

Have you done anything that could have startled them? Aquascaping? Removing a fish?

First of all don't freak out by clown loaches lying on their side, it's common behaviour for clowns despite how depressing it can look for first time owners :)

My clowns went through a similar process after I disturbed their tank (i.e. Aquascaping) and it took them a few weeks to become confident again (i.e. Loach dance).

Have you done anything that could have startled them? Aquascaping? Removing a fish?

Hi Cynic and thanks for the reply. I am aware of the way they will lay on their sides and it can be disturbing to say the least. Mine have gotten to where that is about all they do now. I haven't done anything different with the tank such as rearranging or adding / removing stock. It's like they have been totally fine up until earlier this week. Now all of a sudden it's like they are different fish. I'm afraid I will start losing them since I haven't seen them eat at all in the past few days.

I have 2 clowns and for almost a week straight out of each month they find the tightest spot they can and hide out Ive had mine for a year now and they are perfectly fine. It's just how they are. They actually got stuck inside a decoration for almost 10 days once and survived.

Back
Top Bottom