clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazychick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got 2 last week but just found one dead!should i get another one?also do they need food another than the flakes?

firstly, it would help distinguish the the reason it died if you could describe your aquarium, eg size, setup, etc.
i dont think you should buy another one until you can determine why the last one died.
these types of fish are quite sensitive to high nitrates, is your tank newly cycled? over-filled with fish? poor filtration? ...
the fish may ahve even been sick to begin with?
but i know it'll be easier to figure out if we can find out more about your aquarium
:)

i have 6 noeos,4 minnows,1 fighter,4 plattys,1 pleco!tank is 2ftx1ft,only had it 2months,i found him in the cave not moving,he was a grey colour and stiff!

Plecos do not eat flake food. They need to be fed algae wafers. That could be a problem right there. I'm not sure on the gal size of your tank so I couldn't tell you if it would be wise to get another one or not.

Plecos also eat veggies such as cucumbers and zucchini. I give my Sailfin a slice of zucchini at least once a week. Other than that I supplement with algea wafers and I also offer shrimp pellets for my other fish, but the pleco also seems to enjoy those as well. :)

Also, with the clown pleco, driftwood is essential. Pick up a small piece for your aquarium and you'll find it on there a lot. IMO, I don't think 2 foot by 1 foot is big enough for all of those fish AND two plecos even though they do only get 4-5 inches or so. I think that is about the dimensions of my 20 gallon long.

What are your water parameters? How often are you doing water changes? The pleco may have been affected by water conditions. If that is the case, getting another one is not a good idea.

Your tank is 2' x 1', but that still isn't telling me how many gals. There should be height, width, and depth. Or how many gallons to put the question simply.

I was under the impression that clown plecos are actually omnivorous... which would mean they would eat flake food, right? They aren't really known for being the best algae eaters, and yes, they do rasp on driftwood, so good for you for providing it.

I would do a pwc soon in case your dead pleco might have caused an increase in ammonia. Good luck.

Although I've never seen my Clown eat flake, he does come out when flake is being added to the tank, so it could be true.

The driftwood & algae tabs are esseential.

Thats his cave. He sits in there almost all day (unless food is added) and munches that cave bigger and bigger.

I don't mean they would go the surface for flake food, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would clean up leftovers.

ive got some new food for him,he seems ok,i think i might have just had a `bad` one?!i have seen him picking up flakes from the bottom,and has picked clean most of the alge!got a lovely clean tank!

Good, I haven't even seen mine in about a month. He's my shyest fish by far.

Back
Top Bottom