Clown question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, i got a pair of per clowns a couple months ago and then got a pair of damsels and a humu that was with the damsels. All was fine.

A few weeks ago i got another pair of perc clowns that were originally with the damsels and humu. Well the damsels killed on of thier old tank mate clowns. Well the two biggest clowns paired up and have moved to one side of the tank and now the smallest is by himself on the other... should i get another SMALL perc for it to befriend?

Sniperhank said:
Yeah, clowns shouldn't be mixed like that first off. Secondly, damsels get aggressive and territorial. They should be the last thing added to a tank.

A good friend of mine owns a lfs and has had sw for years and has great success keeping multiple pairs as long as you keep them all in the same family. Percs with percs, ocellaris with ocellaris. And so on.

Well it doesn’t work 99% of the time. If the two larger ones are truly pairing you need to remove the smallest. I would also remove the damsels. I would assume they will bully any newcomers to the tank if they already think its theirs.

Hinds04 said:
Well it doesn’t work 99% of the time. If the two larger ones are truly pairing you need to remove the smallest. I would also remove the damsels. I would assume they will bully any newcomers to the tank if they already think its theirs.

The damsels are gone. I am gonna put a clay pot in the tank and see if the go into it. If they go in ill remove the smaller.

How many gallons is your tank? Huma humas should be in a 125g min. With that you should preobably be able to put 4 clowns in................. maybe.

crister13 said:
How many gallons is your tank? Huma humas should be in a 125g min. With that you should preobably be able to put 4 clowns in................. maybe.

The tank is a 55. Hes in a 20 gal by himself. Hes for sale locally but no one wants him...

I have personally watched 2 sets of clowns kill each other in a 300 gallon.

I've got saddlebacks and clarki clowns mixed in a 200 gallon. They get along fine. Maybe when they start breeding things will change. It's always a big risk tho

Back
Top Bottom