clowns favorite foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
bought my first sw fish, an O. clown today, a tiny one, i'd like to get him/it a mate on saturday if he does fine.

i got some mysis shrimp and some mysis shimp, brine shrimp, and emerald entree, any other personal suggestions? he's still acclimating.

i've read that they will eat flakes as well, but im guessing not regular flakes i feed my fw fish?

Ditch the brine, no nutritional value unless enriched (limited). Feed a variety of food for optimal health: Mysis, AquaYums, Ocean Nutrition, etc. I am not a fan of flakes, but if I had to choose I'd go with Omega or O.S.I.

The key is variety. I feed mine all that you mentioned. I do agree with James about the brine. On the flakes I feed ocean nutrition Prime reef.

just added him to the tank, and turned off the lights. figured i'd feed him tommorow morning. are clowns easily tempted to eat? should i cut the current down? i'm hoping the food doesnt float around too fast for him, and seep down into the LR and rot (though the LR should take care of it?)

also, im thinking about getting a sally light footed crab, as i'm told they are great active cleaners, but would they pick on fish, especially a tiny clown?

I didn't have any problems getting my clown to eat, but I soak my frozen in garlic extreme/zoe/selcon.
I have never had a sally lightfoot. I have read several posts where people say they are great cleaners and for a crab, are peaceful.

I can only speak for the two I had. They never messed around with my fish and were exceptional janitors. I have heard others say there`s was grabbing fish so I guess it just depends.

Sorry, no experience with sally lightfoots, but my clowns are all extremely active and can dart up to catch flakes even directly in front of the PH so I wouldn't worry about cutting down your flow.
Like everybody else said, variety is the key to a healthy diet and a happy fish.
(No, you shouldn't feed FW flake to SW fish and vice versa. While they will eagerly gobble it up, in the long run it's not healthy because they are nutritionally specific.)

I feed my clowns a mixture of Frozen Food (marine cuisine, emerald entree, mysis, and squid) and Flakes. So far the fish love OSI and Ocean Nutrition that I've been feeding them. I've also been feeding them MicroCrabs periodically. It's granulated cyclopeeze and they love that stuff.

Also just wanted to echo about the clowns and speed. They can dart all over the tank to get food, so don't worry about the food getting away from you.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom