Clueless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sangeetha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a male Betta fish on May.
He looks good and gain a bit weight.
Two weeks before I bought a female, soon her belly was a bit swollen ,probably pregnant. The male did bubble nest, not much. He lost his colour, very weak, fins we're rotting and died two days before.it's really sad.

The bubble nest is still there and getting less day by day as I see. Female is still in the same tank and her fins too start to rotting now and I think she haven't laid any eggs yet.

I don't know what to do next.. I'm clueless as I'm still new in having betta fish.

Do anyone have any suggestions???

More info on the tank, what size, filter, temperature, levels, how long has it been set up, did you cycle?

I never fix any filter in that tank as the owner of petshop said it's not necessary and I'm not sure about it. Nearly one week.. Once a week I'll clean it

Tank is too small and dirty. Pets shop took your money and gave you all the wrong info. Change the water daily and get a bigger tank fast if you want to save your fish.

Tank is too small and dirty. Pets shop took your money and gave you all the wrong info. Change the water daily and get a bigger tank fast if you want to save your fish.
Omg.. ?I'll do it now.. But how about the bubble nest?

The pet shop owner said that water need to be changed only when the water is cloudy or yellowish colour but I change water every once a week. Thank God u told me..

I suggested you get a water test kit ASAP. Liquid ones are most reliable, I think. But even test strips are better than nothing. That way you can monitor when your water quality goes awry.

Also, like Maier said, your betta defiantly needs a bigger tank. I think five to ten gallons is the recommended size for them. If you want your betta to have any tank mates in the future I strongly suggest a ten gallon.

Hi, okay sure I'll buy one.. It will be very useful for me.
And soon will change my betta to a larger tank as u said..
But I'm still worried about the bubble nest.. It's still there.
What I should do for the Bubble nest? Any idea?

You'll be doing a fish in cycle, but this will give you an idea what's going on

Theirs a lot to know about breeding bettas you just cant put a female with a male.

I'm not going to go into it because it would take to much time.

Look up breeding bettas. I use to breed Libby bettas in the 70s. What a pain!

The bubblenest can be destroyed, sounds like the female never released eggs so it's empty anyways. Important thing is to change that water asap, and start researching the proper way to keep bettas. They need a filter, temps in the higher 70s, and a cycled tanked http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Thanks for the info Toad. It's really useful. There's a lot of information about betta which I don't know.. Thanks again[emoji5]

Latest update : my female Betta is doing fine today after I did 100% water change yesterday and she did the bubble nest.

Usually male does the bubble nest but in this case female doing it.
Is it normal?

This is the photos for you guys to see and give me more suggestions or any idea! [emoji5]

Attachments

• 20170829_220606.jpg
    20170829_220606.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170829_220559.jpg
    20170829_220559.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170829_220547.jpg
    20170829_220547.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 44
Is it possible your 'female' is actually a short-fin male? Check on the betta's underside for a white spec directly behind the two front fins. If there's a spec, you have a female. If there is no spec, it's definitely a male. I find girl bettas labeled as boys and boys labeled as girls all the time at my local fish stores.

Is it possible your 'female' is actually a short-fin male? Check on the betta's underside for a white spec directly behind the two front fins. If there's a spec, you have a female. If there is no spec, it's definitely a male. I find girl bettas labeled as boys and boys labeled as girls all the time at my local fish stores.
Hi.. I just checked my Betta.. Its a female. It has a tiny white spec as u said..
(The Bubble nest, maybe she wants to save her babies I guess)

Heat,clean tank, Maybe even salt or antibiotics used as a preventative, seem to always help new fish from petstore for me, especially if i buy a bunch at once.

Heat,clean tank, Maybe even salt or antibiotics used as a preventative, seem to always help new fish from petstore for me, especially if i buy a bunch at once.
Oh salt.. I don't know salt can do that too.. How much should I use for 54L tank?

(Just wanted to know)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom