CO2, am i getting ripped off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frostby

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is everybody's typical full 5lb bottle pressure?

My first was near 900, lasted 4 months, my second 2 were barely 700psi. Those only lasted 3-4 weeks.

And to bypass the "you might have a leak" topic, there isn't a leak if I submerse the entire thing in h20...

Also take in to consideration this is a constant 65-68 degrees.

Guess I'm just wondering if my gas company isn't doing their job right.

frostby said:
Guess I'm just wondering if my gas company isn't doing their job right.

And that your gauge is still correct... :)

I find mine is not the same each time I get it refilled, however I can't at this point tell you what it was (months ago, you see...).

I just talked to a person in the know. He says there's a tare weight stamped on the top of each tank. To make sure, all I need to do is take that TW and add 5lbs(for the gas) and weigh. Those values should match.

Weight is the only way to tell for sure how much CO2 is in the tank since the pressure won't change until all of the CO2 liquid has become gas. If you're swapping tanks this makes it hard to double check, but if you get your own tank refilled you can do a before and after weight check to ensure that it's been filled properly.

Correct, The typical tanks, 20oz, 5lb 10lb etc. are only telling you how much liquid the tank can hold. The pressure is dependent on 2 things, Liquid Co2 that can boil, and Temperature. The colder the tank, the lower the pressure (mine sits on a concrete floor and can reach pressures as low as 700PSI, but in the summer, it's usually around 1100PSI.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom