Co2 and ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrizza

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking at a chart that compares Kh and ph levels to estimate ppm of co2.

When using this method, do I measure my co2 in the mornings before the co2 kicks in? Or do I measure it at night when the co2 has been running for a while? Or does it not matter...?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm looking at a chart that compares Kh and ph levels to estimate ppm of co2.

When using this method, do I measure my co2 in the mornings before the co2 kicks in? Or do I measure it at night when the co2 has been running for a while? Or does it not matter...?

That chart is based on a theoretical calculation that doesn't apply in our fish tanks. That's because the chart assumes that the only form of acid present to impact ph is carbon acid which is carbon dioxide in water. In our tanks there may be other ph influences that can skew the reading. Drop checkers are used in co2 tanks because they only measure co2 evaporated in to a sample of water with a known dkh reading (typically 4dkh) there's a bit of ph measuring reagent added also. They are slow to respond too and likely all titration methods not 100% accurate.

Your plants are you best co2 test kit. Structural deformities, translucency, holes, melting, shrivelled leaves are all signs of insufficient co2.

Back
Top Bottom