CO2 concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm setting up a new tank and I want it to be heavily planted. All research done into properly planting aquariums pointed me to CO2 injection and to be honest, I wasn't not keen on at all due to the complicated set ups and cost etc. But after much deliberation I'm finding myself more open to the idea, but my main issue with a CO2 system is safety. I know that it's non-flammable, but that's about it...could any of you guys put my mind at rest?

Thanks for reading and for any replies in advance.

Hi,

I'm setting up a new tank and I want it to be heavily planted. All research done into properly planting aquariums pointed me to CO2 injection and to be honest, I wasn't not keen on at all due to the complicated set ups and cost etc. But after much deliberation I'm finding myself more open to the idea, but my main issue with a CO2 system is safety. I know that it's non-flammable, but that's about it...could any of you guys put my mind at rest?

Thanks for reading and for any replies in advance.

I have two heavily planted tanks in my condo. Both have CO2 tanks under them. I have been running CO2 on tanks for about 6 years now with no issues. The tanks themselves are made to handle the pressure inside and as long as you buy a good regulator you will be just fine. Nothing to worry about.

I've never had any problems either. The tanks here are tested by the company when they do a refill and I just keep an eye on the guage and bubble count in case.

A big risk I thought for us was if the kids kicked a ball into the bottle or the dog knocked it over. I was mainly thinking of the regulator/solenoid taking a knock. So I've tried to tuck the bottle away just in case.

Whenever possible, stabilize the tank. I am using a metal strap (it's wrapped in black electrical tape to prevent scratching the CO2 tank) that is screwed into wood attached to the side of the cabinet.
ID2UFRZ.jpg
Having the CO2 equipment tucked away in a cabinet would be ideal as to keep it away from pets and curious hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Nothing more to fear from a co2 tank than of a fire extinguisher. Pressurized? sure. Flammable? no. Safe? Yes. Ask any bartender who pressurizes the beer on tap that we drink. Cheers! Good luck, having Co2 is a lot of fun and opens up a lot of options in a planted tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your reply, it was very informative :) I guess the only thing holding me back now is my lack of knowledge on how to set the whole system up, but I see there's a huge post about that so I'll give it a read before asking questions about it.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom