CO2 diffusing into the air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if enough CO2 would be coming out of my fish tank to cause any trouble breathing with a pressurized system.

Well I don't know the for sure exact answer, but to be honest I highly don't it would be bad. It would have to take a lot of Co2 into a room to make it dangerous to breathe. Breathing in and out of a bad is most likely worst for you.

Over the past few weeks, a 5lb co2 tank outgassed, and I refilled it. I live in my basement, but it is walk out, and is open/not very stagnant. The room that the tank is in (I sleep like 20 ft away) is around 50 ft x 10 ft x 40 ft (rough estimate). If thinking about pressures, the co2 would come out of the tank, into the room, and would stay downstairs since it is heavier than air? The heater should be bringing in fresh air so.. I don't know..

I wondered about that too when I started with my pressurized system :) If the CO2 is diffused into the water correctly the plants will take it up. I don't think it would come out of the water that easily. If the CO2 cylinder itself leaked, the CO2 is heavier than air and it would sink to the floor. You wouldn't be breathing it in.

Well, I'm still working on a canister filter, and am running a sponge filter before I start up a new tank, so there is low-medium surface agitation. If there is a constant flow of co2, the whole partial pressures law and stuff, it should diffuse more quickly. I was wondering because I think I lost 5 lbs of co2 over the course of a week, and thought I was feeling light-headed with a dry throat, but I'm totally open to the idea its in my head :p.

Thanks for the replies.

14% (roughly) of our ambient atmosphere is CO2 to begin with.... in a house, or even in a room, letting loose all of a 5 pound can over a week isn't going to change that percentage I wouldn't think.

It's in your head - you "diffuse" more co2 into the air breathing over that week than the can did. ;)

Now, if you did it in 30 minutes locked in a closet.... yeah, be slightly more worried!

Back
Top Bottom