Co2, fully automatic or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtezz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is a fully automatic CO2 system worth the extra money? my work schedule does not allow for everyday testing of the water parameters. Would a fully automatic CO2 sytem help minimize the swings in water parameters associated with CO2 injection? i am new to planted tanks, but not keeping fish. I have gotten my algae situation under control. I have some new growth, on my plants, but have lost several plants. I do believe this was due to a swing in my waters ph. i did not add my ph buffer after a water change, and lost over half of my plants. I have read the refernces in the beginning of this forum, and am new to this planted tank stuff, just trying to figure it all out. thanks:cool:

Using a pH controller to turn on/off your co2 solenoid is GREAT. On my tank, I literally have not touched/adjusted the CO2 system for over a year. The CO2 stays at about 25-30ppm 24/7. Definitely worth the expense imo if you have the money.

I actually don't even have a solenoid on my regulator. I just run the CO2 24/7. The only time I've had a problem with too much CO2 in the water was the first time that I set it up and didn't have things adjusted quite right. The main advantage is that a semi automatic or automatic system will allow you to reduce the amount of wasted CO2 so you won't have to refill your cylinder quite as often. I decided against this, as the drawback is that you have a higher power consumption and more parts that can fail. Really it's a judgment call which is best for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom