CO2 Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wobbles

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im sorry if this has been covered already, but Im not sure how many bubbles per second I should be running into my 600l tank?

Im running 6 at the moment and the ph & kh levels are about right, but I suspect this might be too much.

Thoughts??

BPS (bubbles per second) is not an accurate way to measure CO2 but rather a guideline (like the wpg or inch of fish per gallon rules). A good jump off point is 3 bubbles per second. Depending on your diffuser/reactor it may or may not be enough. There are many ph/kh relationship charts which will give you an idea of how much co2 is in your tank. I would run 3 bps and test ph/kh 3 hrs later. If it still low (under 30ppm) increase it to 4 bps. Fauna in a tank can handle 40ppm easily though the plants will not use that much. Its better to have a little too much, than not enough. And stability is the key. 15ppm is much better than 30ppm one hr and 20ppm the next.
Your inhabitants will tell you when enough is enough. They are the most accurate test kit available :)

Well, and even saying it's a guideline isn't that accurate. BPS or BPM is just a way for you to tell how much you are turning up or turning down the CO2 flow rate.

In other words, if you're sitting at 20ppm of CO2 with say, 30bubbles per minute, you really only wanna bump up 5-10 bubbles per minute.

Without a bubble counter, you just kinda wing it and guess.

However, 10more bubbles per minute for you might give you 10ppm...but in my tank, it'd only be 3ppm...and in Joe's tank, it might give him 20ppm because he has soft water.

Follow me?

Exactly. Adjust...wait a good 4-8 hours...retest pH, see what that puts CO2 at, then adjust again if necessary.

Start with around 30bubbles per minute, and adjust up or down from there. If you have particularly soft water (3dKh) start at 15bps and work up from there.

Back
Top Bottom