Co2 / Light relation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking around on tropica's site and came across This

It shows the relation between Co2 and light, and their effect on plants in the aquarium. Some great information with some great understanding on why plants do the things that they do.

Great find, thanks. I think you should add the link to the lighting or CO2 sticky.

That article is a bit odd Wizzard. I believe the charts and thier results are probably pretty accurate. What gets me is thier conclusions.

They say that even under low light co2 is the most important thing you can add. But looking at the charts, it appears that adding more light is more effective than adding co2, light alone will reach a growth cieling higher than adding co2 alone. (and of course adding both is the optimal up to the plants limit)

Maybe I'm just reading the charts wrong.

You are right except for low light, no Co2 (0.7) which shows more of an increase going with Co2 (3.8%) over more light (3.3%).

Effectively it states starting at base point 1 (low light, no Co2 your best path is to Add Co2, then increase the light a step, then increase the Co2 or light 1 step (.2% difference), then move the oposite way, I can see the ideal path, and it does involve Co2 injection at low light, then increasing the light results in a much higher gain after 2 steps then following a single path (either light, or Co2) for 2 consecutive steps (high light, no Co2 results in 6.5% growth, Co2 in low light results in a max of 4.1%, but moderate Co2 and Moderate light is 9.2%..

This would also help with algae problems arising. (I can't remember if it mentions algae at all)

Back
Top Bottom