CO2 on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
Set up my first planted tank ever, it's a 20G long. I'm currently using two T5's a 22" florasun and a 22" ultrasun, and have added root tabs. I am thinking its best to get a CO2 system going ASAP but I really want to do it on a budget or DIY it. Any good recommendations? Is it definitely necessary to get one going?

Thanks!

For a 20g you can look into a DIY co2 system. There are a bunch of how-to's online. Basically you need a couple pop bottles, air tubing, some sugar, & bakers yeast. Every couple weeks you swap out the solution and put a fresh mix in.

I might look into the fluval set-up, saw it for $30 online, it uses the disposable CO2 canisters. How urgent is it to get a system going?

I wouldn't go with the fluval system. The 88 gram co2 tanks aren't worth it. I bought an ASA on / off valve, needle valve, and diffuser for about $40 and run it on a 20oz paintball co2 tank. $3 a refill and it's almost down to half capacity after 2 and a half weeks.

CO2 isn't terribly important however you will need some carbon source with that lighting. You could use metricide 14 day sterilizing solution in leiu of excel if you wanted to go with liquid carbon. Either that or you could do DIY co2.

You might also want to look into doing dry ferts for your tank as well.

Is the liquid carbon source worth it? How will it affect my water and how do fish tolerate it?

It doesn't really effect your water at all. Take a look at seachem excel, the metricide 14 day sterilizing solution is a much cheaper version of it that is approximately 2x as strong.

I currently use 6x the recommended dosage of excel daily in my tanks of which house rainbows, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, bettas, plecos, guppies, gourami, and cory cats along with ghost shrimp, RCS, and nerite snails for my inverts. None of which have shown any adverse signs from the excel.

I may look into a liquid for now until I can save some extra cash and wait for a good deal on a CO2 system.

Just my $0.02. I just ordered a gallon of Metricide 14 for about $21 (Amazon). Diluted 1:1 with distilled water should yield 2 gallons. I have been using Excel but was slacking off because it was getting costly.

Over the summer I started using DYI CO2 and have had great results with my plants. Started with one 2 quart bottle and added a second one later. I used silicone air tubing instead of the clear plastic stuff (stays flexible, seals well). I found that drilling a 3/8" hole in the bottle lid provide a good, leak free fit that required no sealing. I make up cultures every 2-3 weeks. It is a really cheap yet effective way to go IMO.

Yes, I am saving up for a decent CO2 system (5# tank or greater) but this is working for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom