Co2 on whole system or just the planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 220g tank and a 30g cube that are connected together as one system. It used to be my reef tank and frag tank. So both the tanks sit next to each other and share a sump.

My goal is to weigh the cost of keeping them together vs seperating them. if its 2$ a month who cares but if its 20$ a month in ferts and co2 then thats to much.

220g will have a few plants in it but not a ton things like amazon swords and such.

here are my questions:

1.) Does the water volume make much difference in how much co2 is used monthly or does it depend more on the amount of plants?

2.) The benefit of having them tied together is that they look so much better with being able to hide the heater and all the other things as well as not having to do water changes on two tanks I just need to do it on one.

3.) I know ferts are based of gallons but I figured I would just have one large does in the begining and then the rest would just be the same because ferts only need to be replaced when used so how oftern you have to fert depends on plants and plant volume correct?

4.) I have heard of inline diffusers for pvc as well as making a DIY rector out of media reactors. I have a dual media reactor that i used on my reef tank to run carbon and GFO so I figured I could use that to make a diy reactor but I have no idea how and cant find anything online.

Here are my options

a.) Leave them as a whole system and co2 does the enitre thing.

b.) take it off the system and use a canister filter that I have and use an inline diffuser.

c.) just put a 5g sump on the 30g and put the heater and what not in there however I still run into the issue of how to use an inline diffuser on pvc.

I have a 220g tank and a 30g cube that are connected together as one system. It used to be my reef tank and frag tank. So both the tanks sit next to each other and share a sump.

My goal is to weigh the cost of keeping them together vs seperating them. if its 2$ a month who cares but if its 20$ a month in ferts and co2 then thats to much.

220g will have a few plants in it but not a ton things like amazon swords and such.

here are my questions:

1.) Does the water volume make much difference in how much co2 is used monthly or does it depend more on the amount of plants?

2.) The benefit of having them tied together is that they look so much better with being able to hide the heater and all the other things as well as not having to do water changes on two tanks I just need to do it on one.

3.) I know ferts are based of gallons but I figured I would just have one large does in the begining and then the rest would just be the same because ferts only need to be replaced when used so how oftern you have to fert depends on plants and plant volume correct?

4.) I have heard of inline diffusers for pvc as well as making a DIY rector out of media reactors. I have a dual media reactor that i used on my reef tank to run carbon and GFO so I figured I could use that to make a diy reactor but I have no idea how and cant find anything online.

Here are my options

a.) Leave them as a whole system and co2 does the enitre thing.

b.) take it off the system and use a canister filter that I have and use an inline diffuser.

c.) just put a 5g sump on the 30g and put the heater and what not in there however I still run into the issue of how to use an inline diffuser on pvc.

1. Amount is not what matters with co2, it's concentration. So yes you will be using more in the 220, as you will have to put more co2 in to achieve the same concentration, and because more will be lost to surface gas exchange.

3. Depends on the plant volume and type. Lighting also. And if you are dosing EI, PPS, or what.

4. Not sure.

a. A bit more costly. Depends what you are using for co2 tank but it will cost between $4 and $20 per refill. With a small co2 tank on the 220+30 you'll be refilling almost weekly I'd imagine, with a large tank more like monthly or once every 2 months.

b. not sure I understand. That sounds vague to me. Separate the tanks? Which will be planted?

c. again, not sure. IDK anything about reactors to be honest.

It all depends on what co2 tank you have, what light you have, etc. etc. etc.

1. Amount is not what matters with co2, it's concentration. So yes you will be using more in the 220, as you will have to put more co2 in to achieve the same concentration, and because more will be lost to surface gas exchange.

3. Depends on the plant volume and type. Lighting also. And if you are dosing EI, PPS, or what.

4. Not sure.

a. A bit more costly. Depends what you are using for co2 tank but it will cost between $4 and $20 per refill. With a small co2 tank on the 220+30 you'll be refilling almost weekly I'd imagine, with a large tank more like monthly or once every 2 months.
I was worried about that. I think this may cause me to split up the systems because a 5lb tank will last a good while on a 30g.

b. not sure I understand. That sounds vague to me. Separate the tanks? Which will be planted?
the 30g would be planted and the 220g would just have some amazon swords or something. Lighting on the 30g is a 175 or 250w Metal Halide I can change it to what w I want.
c. again, not sure. IDK anything about reactors to be honest.

It all depends on what co2 tank you have, what light you have, etc. etc. etc.

I think I will split the systems. This will allow me to have better water quality in the planted tank anyways. I will still use a 5g sump that way I can put my heater in it and everthing. I mean its already plumbed for it so might as well.

Will the sump on the 30g be a wet/dry trickle?Doing this may cause you to use more co2 because there will be more gas exchange. I know I notice a difference in co2 concentration if I have a nice clear surface vs the surface being oily.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom