Co2 problems...leaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I finally got everything I need to do co2 in my tank. Paintball tank is filled, have a regulator, paintball adapter, bubble counter, check valve, diffuser, and co2 proof tubing, etc.
Problem is, the Co2 is leaking through all possible crevices when I try hooking everything up. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

I'm wondering if I need tape or something to tighten the space between the threads? --if so, what kind should I get, and where can I get it??
Seems like the only leaks are coming from connections for the adapter and regulator.

Thanks guys! Just went to the store and got some teflon tape and literally used about 3/4 of the roll trying to seal up all possible leaks. I THINK I have it figured out now.

My hand hurts from screwing everything on and off so many times trying to fix it before I Had the tape. Holy crap!!!
And I'm also pretty sure that I probably wasted about 1/2 the bottle before I finally got it set up right.

Wow, nobody ever explains how complicated it is to get right at first!

think I used enough tape? lol -- holy crap!!

The Teflon tape is supposed to go inside the threads, not around the entire connection. Wrap the tape around the threads in the direction you screw it in that way it doesn't tear and get bound up, wrap it about 2 maybe three time around, shouldn't need more than that

Lol

I did tape all the threads on the inside....but still had a leak after I used 1/2 the roll on the threads, so I tried doing it a bit on the outside in the cracks...didnt help...finally I found one of those rubber grips that people have to open jars in the kitchen and was able to get it all tightened up a bit more and fixed the leak (as far as I know) i just didnt want to remove the tape in case it was helping it in anyway.

the picture was supposed to be a joke

I had some idea of what I was doing, I just didnt do it well enough at first. Everything seems to be working well now

did you put one of the plastic seal, rubber, or metal perma seals inside the regulator before putting in the paintball canister?

should look something like the picture below, though i could be wrong since i use a 5 lb canister and maybe it is different, though with mine i used one of those and just tightened the regulator on the canister has tight as i could with a pair of vice-grips.

Attachments

• IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 67
hmm, those seal rings would have been good to have! (so would vice grips!) Whenever I have to switch tanks I'll put those on...where can I purchase them from?

I'd rather not mess with it now that I've finally got it working correctly, plus my hand is raw from tightening.

I get mine from green leaf aquariums, have to replaced everytime to take the tank off, they also have a metal perma seal that does not need replacing, though I'm not sure if it will fit

If you're not using a wrench (or wrenches), you're not going to get it tight enough. As far as the plastic seals, you should also be using those, and you should be able to buy them wherever you fill your tank.

Back
Top Bottom