Co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cesblusk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a DIY Co2 system in my 75g tank. I am considering moving to an automatic Co2 injection system. My question is, do the solenoid or any other part of the system make any substantial noise? My tank is in my family room and I'd prefer not to have any extra noise from my aquarium other than the filter and splashing of the water. I'd hate to invest in the system only to find out it annoys my wife! Thanks.

I don't know you or anything, but glass diffusors make a white noise that will likely only be drowned out by your lady's noise about it ;) It does make less noise at lower pressure and a 75G will probably need more than one glass diffusor anyway if you want CO2 all over the place (which will likely be an issue regardless of what single diffusor/reactor you use). I would suggest using an inline reactor after the canister/filter pump to also avoid the noise of the CO2 bubble hitting the impeller. (And use powerheads or something to encourage good circulation to any BBA friendly spots or dense plantings.)

I've got one ceramic diffusor in a 175 gl. tank and it makes no noise at all.
It hangs at the back of the tank, runs on 3 lbs of pressure and does a fine job of keeping the tank at 30 ppm co2.

I use powerheads to diffuse the co2 in my tanks and when you get real close you can hear the bubbles going into the powerhead, but the filters drown it out. The co2 system itself (solenoid, regulator) makes no noise.

The solenoid clicks when it turns on and off, but that's it, since it only turns on once and off once per day. If you had a PH controller that turned on and off more frequently then it would be noticeable. Other than that even injecting into the inlet of the filter is not too noticeable unless your right next to it.

Back
Top Bottom