Co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon6209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on making a nice bubble counter and I'm wondering, how far does CO2 move up in 1 second?
I ask bc I am having trouble counting bps and would like to be able to count how many bubbles are in the tube.

That would really depend on what solution you're using in the counter. I count them as they appear from the brass nipple in the counter though.

Water will be in the counter. And it is pressurized co2

Devon6209 said:
Water will be in the counter. And it is pressurized co2

If you want a little more time to count bubbles mineral oil does the trick. If you can, give it a shot.

It's an oil that is mostly used as a laxative for people and also used in kitchens on cutting boards because it's very food safe (harmless) and never turns rancid. You can find it at any drug store or big grocery centers like walmart in the medical aid isles. If you decide to use it for your drop checker go ahead and rub it into a dry wood cutting board. It makes em last much longer!

Oh here is a question. The water in my bubble counter will eventually disappear. Will this stuff do the same? The bubble counter I have is a cheap one that came with the regulator. I have made one before from a small redbull plastic bottle.

Right, oil doesn't evaporate. Plant oils will eventually go rancid and are best replaced from time to time. That's the advantage of mineral oil. Never need to replace it.

Any sort of oil or glycerin is much, much less volatile than water, and will last for a long time.

I've actually never heard of using vegetable oil before. I wonder why that is.

aqua_chem said:
I've actually never heard of using vegetable oil before. I wonder why that is.

That's because, as stated above, vegetable oil goes rancid very quickly (I was a cook and kitchen manager for over 25 years). If you use it then I suggest changing it, at the very least, every month. Kept in the bottle veg oil will last a relatively long time as exposure is minimal. Once it starts getting exposed it will start to turn quickly. Also stated above, mineral oil is your best bet and it has many uses.

Back
Top Bottom