Co2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Hey guys... I'm seriously considering putting Co2 on my tank. This is all new to be, so I apologize for having so many questions.

I've looked at several regulators. I'm torn. I've looked at rex griggs, aquariumplants.com, drs foster and smith... where's a good place to get a regulator?

I know I will need to get a cylinder. How much are you guys paying for yours?

Do I get just a regulator and solenoid, or should I go all out and get the pH monitor as well?

I'm trying to not spend a ton of money. I've spent way too much already, but I wanna do this right. Any help is appreciated. Btw, if anybody wants to donate one, I'll definitely take it!

eseasongear.com sells the MA957 from Milwaukee. It is a popular model and I love mine. It has been maintenance free since I got it 3 years ago (haven't even replaced the o-rings). I bought mine from eseasongear, and also have ordered a few probes and calibration solution from them across multiple orders... have always proved reliable. They also sell the SMS122 pH controller(also milwaukee). I like having the pH controller... but it is certainly not a requirement. A $10 timer will work just fine... there will be minor pH swings with it though. With the controller, your pH will be exactly the same all the time (obviously).

Get the biggest cylinder you can fit under your tank. I think I paid about $40 for my 5lb cylinder. Call your local welding supply store... you might get an exchange type cylinder from them for pretty cheap. I bought a brand new shiny aluminum one, but when I moved there was no place close that filled tanks... they only did exchanges... so now I have a crappy steel one (not that it matters since it is in a cabinet)... could have probably saved a few dollars if I would have just started out with the exchange.

Thanks buddy! I appreciate all the help :)

So, with that being said, I'm headed over to that site now. The best part... the wife is the one who is actually pushing me to get it! That's a welcomed change.

Now, I have one last question (ok, I lied... it won't be the last). How do I get the Co2 from the cylinder to the tank? Do I have to get a reactor? I've seen conflicting things. Some tanks appear to just have a maxijet powerhead with the tubing from the regulator hooked to it. Others have this big (expensive looking) reactor hooked up to a canister or a powerhead. What do I do there?

Well... lots of options... no 1 correct way.

Rex Griggs has a really easy to build DIY inline reactor if you have a canister filter on the tank (cant remember what you put on there).

A glass/ceramic in tank diffuser works just fine too.

The powerhead method you described works really well. It is referred to as "misting" or the mist method. It is probably the best way to do it as far as plant health... but the problem is you will have all these little microbubbles floating around your tank. All the turbidity is really annoying, and the water clarity will actually be bad. But, it is really great for the plants... some of the CO2 will actually get trapped up underneath the leaves and be absorbed directly.

I am gonna post a link to a thread I already typed up about several different diffusion methods. It may help ya out...

Check out this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/1-4-diy-3-4-purchased-co2-system-136350.html#post1177876

I have an AC70 on there right now, but only because it was running on another tank, hence instant cycle... I pulled out the old Eheim 2224 today though and hooked it up to my 150g to run for a few days until I get some pvc and build a new intake and outlet to put on it. I may have to look up that diy reactor on his site.

Now... I called around today, 3 different welding supply stores... they all wanted $80+ for a cylinder. I can order one off ebay for $20, but it'll cost $25 to have it shipped. Where are you guys getting yours?

$45 isn't bad... thats about what I paid I think.

Check out home brewing sites... they sell CO2 tanks. Maybe you can find a better deal on shipping.

Ok... Bought a new aluminum cylinder off a brewing website for $50 shipped. Found a place locally that refills them for $10, so might as well have the nice shiny aluminum cylinder rather than the old nasty painted steel cylinder.

You guys are killing me. I am not going to spend ANY MORE MONEY on this tank!!

LOL. You are pretty much there now... congrats on the purchase. Did you end up with a 5lb cylinder?

Ok fort, crepe... question for you guys.

this is purely hypothetical, as this would never happen... ok maybe it might, or I wouldn't be asking this. Say I were to decide that I love planted tanks more than african cichlids... and say I were to sell my africans and convert my 150g in to a planted tank. Could I use the same co2 cylinder and regulator with maybe a manifold or something to inject co2 in to the 150g as well? Reason I know I cant just get a 'y' or something is because I'm positive that the 150g would require more co2 than the 40g, so I'm guessing I'd need a needle valve and bubble counter for it as well, correct?

Correct. You can just get a dual manifold that will replace the single your regulator is coming with. It has 2 bubble counters as you described. I have one myself, though not using the second outlet ATM.

Indeed.

I think I bought the dual manifold from eseasongear too... Or maybe it was eBay. It is pretty widely available I think... Hypothetically...

Back
Top Bottom