CO2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone.
So I have been trying at a planted tank for about 2 months now and because of several problems that I have and research I'm doing, it is coming to my attention that I need a CO2 injection system.
So does anyone have any advice for what brand or size of canister of CO2 I should use?
If anyone has a link that I could read about this that would be great.
Thanks

My tank is a 75g planted with mostly low to mid level lighting plants.
.. forgot to mention this up above.

My tank is a 75g planted with mostly low to mid level lighting plants.
.. forgot to mention this up above.

Depends where u are in the world, but brands like aquatek, GLA (green leaf aquariums), azoo and co2art are all well known regulators.

For a tank your size u will want atleast a 5lb cyclinder and that will last maybe 3-4 months between fills?

75g is a large tank so an in tank diffuser will be no good to you as you won't get the spread and you'll be wasting heaps of co2. I'd recommend either purchasing or building a co2 reactor.

Here's some links for the reactors,
https://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm

https://glassboxgardeners.com/threads/how-to-build-a-cerges-co2-reactor.346/

Amazon or eBay have the regulators and co2 cyclinders.

Or google green leaf aquariums to see there range (most expensive out of the brands but they are extremely good quality)

Go with GLA Regulator if you can afford it. Get the biggest co2 canister that you can because it'll be more convenient for you at the end of the day. But a 5lb would do just fine. But they do have 10s and 20s and I'm pretty sure they have 15lbers.

I have an azoo Regulator that I bought from eBay and it is awesome. I'm pretty sure it's one of the older models but it gets the job done. Don't go cheap on your equipment as far as co2 tubing and bubble counters. I bought a 3 dollar roll of "co2 tubing" that only turned out to be vinyl tubing and it BURSTED and co2 came pouring all through my tank and almost gassed all my fish if I hadn't heard the rupturing sound it was making. Long story short. Buy reputable and fair equipment. Good luck to ya!

Thank you very much for the advice on brands.
I guess I'm not familiar with what brands are reputable and what is not. So thanks for letting me know.
What do you guys think about a pH monitor hooked up to the CO2 regulator? Is this a good idea? Or more overkill than I really need?

Thank you very much for the advice on brands.
I guess I'm not familiar with what brands are reputable and what is not. So thanks for letting me know.
What do you guys think about a pH monitor hooked up to the CO2 regulator? Is this a good idea? Or more overkill than I really need?

Yea I've never used one to be honest as I don't see the need for it. Once your bubble count is set then your ph drop is always consistent so u don't need a ph monitor to stop it at the desired ph.

Also I feel that the solenoid flicking on and off to maintain the ph with the monitor will make it not last as long (I may be wrong)

It's also another item in the tank to take up space and look ugly.

In saying that a lot of people do use them and like them. Guess it's just personal preference

Yea I've never used one to be honest as I don't see the need for it. Once your bubble count is set then your ph drop is always consistent so u don't need a ph monitor to stop it at the desired ph.

Also I feel that the solenoid flicking on and off to maintain the ph with the monitor will make it not last as long (I may be wrong)

It's also another item in the tank to take up space and look ugly.

In saying that a lot of people do use them and like them. Guess it's just personal preference
Cool.
Thanks for input.
I'm sure I'll have more questions about it later on. Mainly on starting up. Things like how to monitor the pH and what time's I should check the levels and how to best distribute the CO2 evenly in my tank

Cool.
Thanks for input.
I'm sure I'll have more questions about it later on. Mainly on starting up. Things like how to monitor the pH and what time's I should check the levels and how to best distribute the CO2 evenly in my tank

I can answer all those now lol, you'll need a co2 drop checker. U want it to go lime green to almost yellow within 2 hours after co2 comes on.

Co2 needs to be on 1-2 hours before lights on and turned off 1 hour before or same time as lights off.

A ph pen can be a quick way to check the ph.

If u Google co2 measurement chart u can reference ph and kh at the height of your co2 (mid - end photoperiod) to find out what ppm of co2 u are running. U want to aim for 30ppm.

Best way to distribute co2 is with a reactor connected to the outlet of your canisters spray bar (if u have one) or u can put a diffuser under the intake of a HOB but that's not as effective.

If you have an HOB, fill the tank so inflow is under water. Too much splash will waste CO2.

I just got a system from CO2Art. My regulator is a new release of their top of the line Dual Stage , not on the site yet.

IMG_4070.jpg
IMG_4062.jpg

GLA has a great rep. CO2Art has very responsive customer service and my system works great.

Aluminum bubble counter w/ Built in check valve
SMC Precision Needle Valve
12v cool touch solenoid
I'm using a Bazooka in tank Diffuser, but I'll be making or buying a Rex-Grigg reactor.

I bought a 20lb tank. I expect it will last me a year.
Local swap is only $22 for a full 20lb tank.

I run a Ph controller on mine and will probably stick with them. The main advantage is you can set a low ph cutoff (representing a max CO2 level) so fish aren't gassed (I've still done it though going too low).

Disadvantage is mainly cost I think. The ph probe is about pen sized and I calibrate mine every year.

Still use a drop checker.

Originally it was over-kill but now with two CO2 reactors at either end of tank and running filters at different times it's useful. I have a large tank though.

Any decent CO2 regulator/solenoid set up will do. Shop around. What it comes down to is the micro flow valve, diffuser method and water flow

I recommend the dakota 6AMV1101

https://www.dakotainstruments.com/barstock-metering-valve-mfvs-brass-straight-flow

nice fine adjustment and cheaper than most.

I also recommend a reactor and a way to direct water flow through the tank so all plants get CO2 and there are no dead spots

Back
Top Bottom