CO2 said I wouldn't but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I started a planted tank and said I was going to stay away from CO2 or anything to involved. Guess I am changing my mind.LOL This aquarium thing gets addictive. I currently have a 75 watt plant light on my 29 gal. tank but My Ludwigia has lost it red and my money wort is growing tall not spreading so I think I need more light. I am going to add another 75 watt light raising my tank light to 150 watts. I am guessing this will make me need CO2. I am having a slight problem with algae right now. Not bad but I am trying to nip it in the bud before it gets bad. I was running my light 10-12 hours a day and have cut it back to 8 hours. I am wondering if that is a good thing. I have a glass top on my tank and it keeps building up water condensation and is cutting the amount of light that reaches my tank. When the glass is clean, the tank is really brightly lit. When the lid gets coated with water vapor it greatly reduces the light. Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

I ordered Seachems flourish and root tabs for my plants. I ordered some valves and things to do diy CO2 setup for right now. Any suggestions on a CO2 system that wouldn't coast a lot. I have a limited budget. If the diy setup works for awhile I can save to get a better system but would like some suggestions so I don't waste my money.

Current setup

29 gallon tank planted with Ludwigia repens, dwarf sagittaria, money wort, penny wort. 2 molly fish, 3 ghost shrimp. Pool filter sand substrate. one 75 watt, 4200k, 1093 lumens. Currently have a Whisper 40 HOB filter. Ordered an Aquaclear 50 to replace it.

I also have a ten gallon set up with same light planted with ludwigia and money wort.

Any suggestions for making my planted tank grow lush would be appreciated.

I don't have any suggestions other than that the KElvin value of your lighting might be a little low, generally you want to run about 6700k.
I would really like to know what people suggest for the DIY CO2 though, thinking about using it on my 26 as well

The light I am using is one I bought at Walmart online. I use them to grow tomato, cucumber, and other seedlings. They work great for that purpose so I thought they would work great for aquarium plants. I use to use shop lights with one cool bulb and one warm bulb. Found these and they worked so good for garden plants I kept using them. They also work for my houseplants. I never knew the the lumens or kelvins of these lights until I started visiting this website. I am checking what is available in my area in the 6500k range.

My plants are growing and the ludwigia has some red color. I just want everything to have that lush look I have seen in other planted aquariums. I want to venture into higher light plants.

That's a 17w T8 bulb. They only say it's 75w because that's what it's equivalent to with an incandescent bulb. It's mostly a marketing gimmick at this point.

Okay. I thought my light was good but I have now learned better. I added a 4 foot fluorescent double bulb shop light with T8 32 watt, 6500k daylight bulbs (2 bulbs). It is mounted 18 inches above tank. How much does this bump up my light? Low or medium?

I am working on getting enough money for a T5 or LED light setup and CO2 setup but it is diy for now.

See what my dang cat started.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom